Should I hunt her or not? Opinions Welcomed

Goatman

Cassidy is my 12.5 year old GSP.. has been an awesome companion and the best hunter that I have been associated with....but...

In March, I had 2 Mast Tumors removed, one from her elbow area, and one from her rump... well, I have discovered additional lumps, with the largest below the site of the previous removal on her front leg. This one doesn't seem to be bothering her at all.

She has been favoring her back hip/leg area for a while, (Not the same side as the removed tumor), but nothing seems obvious.. Some days she uses it just fine, (especially when running), other days she acts her age and kinda limps around... I have noticed a loss of muscle mass on this leg, but then again, she is losing weight due to the cancer...

She always has been a tough one.. she used to tear her self up quite often, sew her up and she was ready for more....

So, here is a new season upon us... I was thinking that she would love to hit a few smaller fields, not overwork her... at her age, and knowing that her time is limited, should I let her enjoy what will most likely be her last year? Or officially retire her? Unfortunately, the retirement option will most likely be for both of us...

Goatman

If she is up to it I'd take her to a few small fields and see how she does. You will know if she can handle it. If not, then it's time to retire her. Sounds like you've had an awesome companion for 12+ years. Treasure the memories.

It's always tough when a dog gets to the end of their days. It's been 5 years since I put my last one down. Cried for a week. But the 4 year old I have now I'm even more attached to. Hate to even think of when that day comes.

Cassidy is my 12.5 year old GSP.. has been an awesome companion and the best hunter that I have been associated with....but...

In March, I had 2 Mast Tumors removed, one from her elbow area, and one from her rump... well, I have discovered additional lumps, with the largest below the site of the previous removal on her front leg. This one doesn't seem to be bothering her at all.

She has been favoring her back hip/leg area for a while, (Not the same side as the removed tumor), but nothing seems obvious.. Some days she uses it just fine, (especially when running), other days she acts her age and kinda limps around... I have noticed a loss of muscle mass on this leg, but then again, she is losing weight due to the cancer...

She always has been a tough one.. she used to tear her self up quite often, sew her up and she was ready for more....

So, here is a new season upon us... I was thinking that she would love to hit a few smaller fields, not overwork her... at her age, and knowing that her time is limited, should I let her enjoy what will most likely be her last year? Or officially retire her? Unfortunately, the retirement option will most likely be for both of us...

Goatman

Goatman, saw your post earlier and while I may not have much insight, I just came across this and thought it appropriate to share

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/oct/13/senior-springer-spaniel-inspires-desire-for-the/

Goatman

Whatever you decide to do, it sure sounds like you got one hell of a dog there. If it were me, i would take her out hunting. As mentioned, find an easy field and take it all in. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hunt or not?

I have had to make this decision at various times in my life and always allowed the dog to hunt for a limited time. I am 76 and in reasonable condition but find I am in a reverse position. My dog is 7 and still hunts "hard" but I find I cannot last as long. I hope I am able to go until he is 12.

What's her vet say about hunting her?

If I was in your shoes, I would just be worried that she would be hurting herself, but soldier on while she was hunting because of her drive. You said she is a tough one...

If she gets sore and stoved-up from a long walk or jog, she might really hurt herself if she gets into a bird finding frenzy...

I would ask my vet's advice and do my best to follow it.

I'm sorry. My opinion sucks.:(

What's her vet say about hunting her?

If I was in your shoes, I would just be worried that she would be hurting herself, but soldier on while she was hunting because of her drive. You said she is a tough one...

If she gets sore and stoved-up from a long walk or jog, she might really hurt herself if she gets into a bird finding frenzy...

I would ask my vet's advice and do my best to follow it.

I'm sorry. My opinion sucks.:(

I would take his advice. The reality is your wants and or desires have to come after hers. If the vet says she can't hunt then go find a nice tract and back the truck up to put the tailgate down and enjoy a sunset together thinking about better times. I don't envy your situation one bit and I don't look forward to this day myself.

I still take my 16 year old GSP out. 2 tumors removed as well, near deaf and has cataracts. He and my dad are official blockers and shuttle truck drivers. They don't do much but couldn't do without them. May put them in the same hole someday...and will be proud of what they both have done for and with me.

This is both sad and great. You've had a great companion for that long and I really hope to have my 1 1/2 year old for that long to hunt with. A dog with drive will always want to hunt and always try. You'll have to be ready if you get a mile or two from your truck you could end up carrying your dog back to the truck. My personal opinion is to let her relax at home, as much as she might hate it, we have to be the adults because the dogs don't know their own limits. I would just take her to a preserve or two in more of a controlled environment

Yup, as long as she is safe, I would let her do her thing until she couldnt.

I would certainly let her hunt..but I would actually take her to a hunting preserve and pay the coin to set her up for success. I would want it to be as easy as possible for my old gal and I would want her last hunts to be succesfull ones. I would spoil her rotten..probably max out the CC..fields of 100 birds.. JK on the last part (kinda) but you get the idea. Dog's don't live forever..I hate thinking that. Looks like you have had yourself one hell of a friend. Cheers to you both!:cheers:

hey if she wants to go let her, my britt was 13 and he had tumers between his lungs causing him not to take full breaths and he had arthritis in his right hip and left elbow, but god forbid i would ever leave my house with my gun and my young britt and not him. when i hunted him he would just stay about 10 feet in front of me, to him it didnt matter he just loved being in the field with dad and vise versa.well on the way home one evening he was laying on my lap in the truck and he looked at me and fell asleep and never woke up. i stopped at the local vet and had him creamated,my wife and i took his ashes out to mine and his favorite hunting spot and threw his ashes,,, after they hit the ground a rooster flushed up about 30 yards away, anyway what im getting at is the time you spend with youre dog in the field is sooo easily taken for granit you tend to forget just how short their lives are. so ya take her if she still wants to go and charish the moments. :thumbsup:

hey if she wants to go let her, my britt was 13 and he had tumers between his lungs causing him not to take full breaths and he had arthritis in his right hip and left elbow, but god forbid i would ever leave my house with my gun and my young britt and not him. when i hunted him he would just stay about 10 feet in front of me, to him it didnt matter he just loved being in the field with dad and vise versa.well on the way home one evening he was laying on my lap in the truck and he looked at me and fell asleep and never woke up. i stopped at the local vet and had him creamated,my wife and i took his ashes out to mine and his favorite hunting spot and threw his ashes,,, after they hit the ground a rooster flushed up about 30 yards away, anyway what im getting at is the time you spend with youre dog in the field is sooo easily taken for granit you tend to forget just how short their lives are. so ya take her if she still wants to go and charish the moments. :thumbsup:

You got me choked up. What a lucky dog to have you and you to have him.:cheers:

Wow this is a tuff one,

There comes a time in everyones life, with dogs or other pets, that you have to make the decision to let go. It's never an easy one, and never a, " I'm doing the right thing." It just sucks. No one can make that choice but you my friend. It's your dog, your friend, and your choice.

I'm glad, I don't have to make the choice. I've put down several Brits that broke my heart. But I know they were in great pain and it was time. As stated here, I hope you can take her on one last hunt. My Heart goes out to you my Friend.

ehhh im kind of a dog lover ive got a soft spot for them, cant remember the last time i raised my voice at one.

I've had two dogs that lived to hunt their last season in old age. I just took it easy with them and didn't overwork them. Their age-related health issues finally brought them to the point where I had to put them down in Dec and Jan, but I had that one last season with them. You know it's their last. They're getting old. The signs are there.

My last pup was 5 and had to be put down dying from blastomycosis. In his prime. We missed his best years in the field and he never had a chance to get old. Losing him still gets me. So take your pup out and let him do what he lives for as long as he has desire to go. I hope in the end it's that way for me, too. I get to go as long as my body allows and my mind has desire.

I hunted my old Gordon until she could not get around at all.

She would rather be hunting than laying around the house, even if it was the last thing she did.

Back