Short afternoon hunt

I got out for the last two hours today. I am tired of this wind but I did have quite a few birds hold nicely and the dog worked well. I should have had a limit but the sun made bird ID difficult I know I let 3 roosters have a free pass because I wasn't sure. Still a great afternoon to be out. I always enjoy hunting the last few hours but rarely do on the weekends.

Last edited:
Thanks I finally figured out how to post pictures.....
Its a Franchi Veloce Squire, I just got it this year and have really enjoyed it and I don't think the pheasants can tell its a little 20 gauge :)

Very nice! I think all roosters are taught at an early age to always fly toward the sun. :D I've had to pass on a few shots this year already to due to a late day sun. Good looking pooch and looks like a brute! Best wishes...

Thanks I finally figured out how to post pictures.....
Its a Franchi Veloce Squire, I just got it this year and have really enjoyed it and I don't think the pheasants can tell its a little 20 gauge :)

Roosters actually prefer their demise with a 20 or 28..;)

I read all the internet debate over 12 vs. 20 for pheasants. This is my first 20 and I have really enjoyed it. I think this is one of those guns that just fit me well too. It is a two barrel set and I hope to try out the 28 gauge set on wild birds this year too, I just haven't had time to pattern many loads with the 28.

The picture makes Belle look big she is a 60lb female lab a year and a half old. She is really figuring it all out. I am looking forward to see how much she progress's this year.

I just gave my new 686 28 guage a couple days in the field last week. I like it a lot!

Have used a 20 much more often as age increased!:p Have no issues with a four pound gun! One of the best "shots" I ever pheasant hunted with used a 410. Center-punched them all!:p

Back