Shocking

SDJIM

It is the second Saturday of pheasant season and I spent all day afield--saw birds and even killed a few----BUT---

I DID NOT SEE ANOTHER HUNTER AFIELD :eek:

We went to two game production areas and even did a hour of road hunting

What the heck is going on :confused:

Drive from Sioux Falls to Watertown the 2 hours before dark and didn't see a single hunter. Spending the night here in Watertown then headed to Ipswich in am. Only one other group of hunters in our entire hotel

Personally I think that a lot of people feel that the only time they can find birds is on opening weekend. If that's what they want to believe I just let them think that way. Can say they are completely wrong but if they don't want to hunt later I say more room and birds to be chased by those of us that know better. Have had some of my better hunts in mid November to mid December.

Sounds like I might have the whole east river pheasant range to myself by the time I get out there in mid-November.

Drive from Sioux Falls to Watertown the 2 hours before dark and didn't see a single hunter. Spending the night here in Watertown then headed to Ipswich in am. Only one other group of hunters in our entire hotel

You should have contacted me when you were in Watertown. We could have had a beverage together.

Hunting over here on the east side of SD is an effort in futility. You won't see many hunters around here. There just aren't many birds.

From what I've been gathering, the second and third weeks in November may be overflowing with hunters in SD this season.

A LOT of people have been talking about pheasant hunting SD those weeks.

Majority of people give up on public land after about two weeks. Makes it real nice going out during the middle of the week and chasing birds with the dog and myself with no one else around to see how good the two of us have it. Got her staples out friday and looking to be heading out on wednesday for the day.

You should have contacted me when you were in Watertown. We could have had a beverage together.

Hunting over here on the east side of SD is an effort in futility. You won't see many hunters around here. There just aren't many birds.

Thanks Zeb! Maybe next time!
Our group of 5 hunted hard today. 11am - dusk
11 birds. It's only our first day but I would say bird numbers on our farm is same as last year. I was expecting to see more birds but didn't. All beans are out and farmer hasn't started on corn yet. Shot 3 very young birds with little color. Always a great time here in sodak. It was also very warm today.
We will hit it hard again tomorrow!

Bob

Personally I think that a lot of people feel that the only time they can find birds is on opening weekend. If that's what they want to believe I just let them think that way. Can say they are completely wrong but if they don't want to hunt later I say more room and birds to be chased by those of us that know better. Have had some of my better hunts in mid November to mid December.

I totally agree. I almost always prefer the Nov and Dec hunts.

Back