Sharptail Grouse Season Closure

Munster927

Found this today. Had heard it was a possibility but sounds like it's official now. An FYI for all you multi species chasers here.

Minnesota Closes Sharptail Grouse Season in East-Central Region | Field & Stream

Well, not many birds that I've ever heard about in the east-central area. The only place I know of is about ten miles north of Nimrod. If you want to find sharp tail, you could go over to the Barrens in Wisc. but that is a limited season (1-2 birds?) with limit permit draws. Most of the people who draw a permit don't even hunt them.

Well, not many birds that I've ever heard about in the east-central area. The only place I know of is about ten miles north of Nimrod. If you want to find sharp tail, you could go over to the Barrens in Wisc. but that is a limited season (1-2 birds?) with limit permit draws. Most of the people who draw a permit don't even hunt them.

Unfortunately, Wisconsin closed its season too.

Last edited:
I've heard of some decent numbers in certain spots. I always meant to hunt around Hinckley area. Supposedly some WMAs were managed for sharpies. Was planning to this year but so much for that. This may be a years long closure I envision in the eastern zone.

Forests are not the sharptail's friend. Not enough slashing and burning on areas encroached (naturally or unnaturally) by forests.

MN Sharptail group has cutting parties, but that probably does not make a huge dent in the problem.

Forests are not the sharptail's friend. Not enough slashing and burning on areas encroached (naturally or unnaturally) by forests.

MN Sharptail group has cutting parties, but that probably does not make a huge dent in the problem.
Yeah they do have cutting and burn parties. As a member, I get invites but haven't been able to join one yet but intend to next year. They cut and burn a substantial amount, especially up in the NW zone. Almost more than I can imagine a group of people can do by hand. They supposedly just use saws, no heavy equipment.

Back