Sharpies?

I hunt in that region as well, more central ND. south of 94. I haven't seen many at all. I will ask some farmers what they are seeing.

I talked two 3 farmers, 1 said that he has seen a lot more than last year while harvesting. Other 2 said similar to last year. The first guy said he saw a group of 23 this morning, that might be why he is saying he is seeing more than last year.

2 guys said they are seeing more Pheasant Broods but less pheasant in each brood. Not sure why (more predators, re-nesting). 2 of the guys said the didn't see one brood over 10 a lot of 4-8 size broods, Broods smaller but the all feel there are more birds around. 1 of the guys was extremely positive on pheasant numbers (but he usually is).

hope this helps..

That helps a bunch. I feel like numbers of both were up last year compared to the previous year. The CRP loss is incredible in that area , very sad , but good times for the farmers. How was winter / spring weather?

in that area the winter was Mild, buy that I mean they didn't have huge snow on the ground, I was hunting Jan 1st and we could drive the vehicles every where. It was cold, but not huge amounts on snow, so birds should of had a good survival rate.

Spring it was real dry till about May 1st. We got a lot of rain may 1st-june 15th. it was also a cold spring, with days/nights where temp was into the 30-40's until about june 4th. not sure what that means for Brood production. I know it can be cold or wet, but not both.

Dad did see 8 pheasant chicks and mother in the yard yesterday. when he walked out the all flew except mother. none had color on them.

I hope this helps...

I am personally optimistic, we saw good increase last year over the previous years, and if this year there is even a slight increase in numbers, it should be a very good upland game year. imo. but to be honest I am always optimistic.

My experience growing up and hunting ND for the past 40 years is nesting weather is the larger factor vs. winter weather for huns and sharptails. They seem to fair well in very cold climates.

Sharptails are susceptible to cool rainy May and June weather. Nesting and brood success is measurably impacted.

Huns are absolutely impacted by rainy weather / wetter climate ... their numbers have never really rebounded (in ND) from the heavy rains of '93 & '94.

Pheasants on the other hand nest and renest until they pull off a brood. State department brood counts usually miss these late hatches because they are not hanging out on the roads yet. It is only hunters actually out in the field moving small immature roosters that seem to confirm late nesting success.

Hey , thanks for the info guys. Im pretty optimistic myself. We are usually there either the week before pheasant is open to non residents or the first week pheasant is open to us. The sharpies get extremely jumpy by then it seems. Pheasants seem to have the same nesting / brooding practices as wild turkeys down here. No matter what the weather i think the CRP loss may get em all….

Interesting article. I hate to see those guys take a hit. I have become friends with several farmers in ND over the years. Id love to see uncle sam pay more for crp. I appreciate you sending that.

Back