Sharpies and chickens

cocktailsncigars

Looking to head this way from Indiana this year,, have been hitting pheasants in SD and Kansas,,never hunted sharptail thought I'd like to try my 2 redneck dogs on these birds ,,any suggestions on best chance? maybe mixed bag ?

Look at the previous posts on this state forum, under Samuel L. McKelvie, or sharptails. I believe we have covered it thoroughly. Lots of extreme walking, spectacular country, unique challenges and hazards. Good Luck.

thanks,,, I just recieved an invite to go with a a couple friends somewhere north of Valentine ,NE. just into SD. 3rd week of Oct. Guess thats where me and my redneck dogs will be,,if we don't have a blast it will be no ones fault but our own.

just got back from NE. no sharpies,,but came back with several chickens..View attachment 2446

View attachment 2447

2 birds in picture 2 are absolutely sharptails. Gray feet, speckled feathers, pointy tail feathered feet, appear white or very light in flight. Greater Prairie Chickens bare yellow feet, barred noticeably across the breast, dramatically squared tail, appear dark. Birds with 4 in the picture are Prairie chickens. Nice birds, country you visited is my favorite place.

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, but are these good eating?

Yes they are good eating.

I believe O&N and JsD are correct. The second pic of two birds are Sharptails. The feet and tails the give away.:thumbsup:

Looks like the op had a great hunt. :thumbsup::cheers:

I have shot sharptails, chickens and hybrids. Those two birds in photo2 look like they are all sharptail.

yes she is my daughters dog I wanted another shorthair,but she has been easy to train and is a fine addition...thanks..

Last edited:
Back