Share your Funniest SD hunting story.

This will be short and sweet but..
This was 2 years ago in the Clark, SD area. It was my first morning there. I was hunting alone. My wife and kids were in Disneyworld at the same time. I went north and they went south. It was about an hour before shooting time and I was parked at the end of a deadend two track after driving through the night. I was changing into my hunting clothes and was down to my drawers with no socks or shoes on. I was talking to my wife on the phone, not paying attention to my 2 Goldens, when I look up and one of them is a hundred yards out with my hunting socks in his mouth tossing them up in the air like a cat plays with a mouse!!!! I couldnt get him to come back for nothing!:eek: So there I stood, in my undies and no socks, with my wife laughing her arse off, swearing if that dog ever came back to the truck it would be too soon! I guess a 12 hour drive was too much for him! He needed to let out a little steam!
I LOVE to hate that dog! He's the best dog in the world!:10sign:

This could be one of those..you had to be there type of stories.

edited to add: it was about 25 degrees with a stiff wind!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Funny Story

Couple of years ago we were hunting around Ipswich, SD. Wind was howling about 30 and gusting to 45. Big rooster flushes out of a corn field a couple of hundred yards away. We were all just standing around talking and we all saw him coming. He's hauling A$$. I look over at my dad and told him watch this. Pulled up, folded him out around 45 to 50 yards. Bird is going so fast it keeps on floating, and it hit my rear view mirror on pickup, and shattered the glass on it. That was an expensive bird, but we love telling that story.

Ehudgens, that's pretty dang funny. I work at a firehouse and one of my co-workers has pretty good luck with pheasants and windshields. He came to work in his pickup one morning and hit a pheasant so he had to replace the windshield. A couple of weeks later he was coming to work and hit another one. This time the bird got hit so square and hard that the feathers stayed in his windshield, or what was left of it, all the way to work. He got pulled over by a state trooper on his way due to the windshield and all he did was laugh. By time he got to the firehouse he had glass all over the inside of the pickup. So of course he had to replace the windshield again. He decided to buy a different pickup a month later and you guessed it. He hits another pheasant and has to replace the windshield in his new pickup. He's about as good of a shot with a 12 gauge as he is with a pickup!!

My brother and I were hunting in SD in December. We were hunting iced over cattail sloughs. We bother broke through the ice up to our knees. We both tired to crawl on the ice to get out of there. You guessed it, we both broke through again and got completely drenched. Walked back to the truck to change clothes. Since we were in a desolate area on a dead road and the truck was in a field 75 yards from the road, we stripped down right there to everything. You know that feeling that someone is watching you? Sure enough, we turned around and there was two little old ladies sitting in their car watching us. Where they came from I will never know. I am sure we gave those ladies quite a thrill. By the way, we continued to dress right there and they didn't leave until we finished dressing!

Back in the mid 80's we were hunting in the Matin SD area. The campground we were staying in was also a public hunting area. As we returned to camp we flushed a big rooster from the road ditch and Lou shoots it breaking a wing,well his dog retrieves it and as he takes it from the dog the bird pecks him and he drops it, off it goes and again the dog brings it back. Lou says better not let that happen again and grabs it by the neck and it spurs him and yep he drops it again, well Mr rooster still being of only broken wing puts on the track shoes and makes his break, once again the dog brings it back. Now all the time this is going on two older hunters having already taken a limit and relaxing in camp were witness to all of this. Now for the best part, the dog brings it back and places it on the ground,puts it paw on it and looks up at Lou to which one of the older hunters remarks " Ya better kill it this time sonny cus I don't think she get it for ya again.

I've got a few... but I'll go with this one.

We were out in the Redfield/Hitchcock, South Dakota area and I had shot a rooster down. It was a long shot and I thought I head shot it since the rooster tumbled as it hit pay dirt. The dead rooster was up ahead of me, so I kept walking up to the bird as I continued to walk with the group. It was towards the end of the food plot so I just waited by the dead rooster, as the rest of the guys finished walking the plot. My friend Andy came over close to me, so grabbed the rooster by the body (i usually don't do that) and I threw it at him underhand andit started to fly away from us to our amazement. Andy then proceeded to shoot the bird 4 times, missing all 4 as I hit another long shot once again downing the bird for the 2nd time! The dogs grabbed it this time and brought it back. I felt like I rung it's neck for the next 5 minutes. That rooster had a lot of fight in him!

All I can remember of my SD hunt was "WOW, look at all those birds." I don't have any funny SD stories but I felt compelled to mention that there are some darn good ones on here so far. Thanks to all for taking the time to share them!

was up around aberdeen 2 decembers ago. Was hunting way back in some cattails probably 1/2 mile from the truck. Water had been high at sometime and flash froze. Because i have become more substantial in the last few years, i managed to break through the ice. fortunately the water was only about waist deep, that good funky cattail water. By the time i got out and made it back to the truck, i could not get in because my coat was frozen at a right angle to my body. I could not bend my legs to get in the truck. My buddy had a good laugh at me stripping down to my shorts and getting in. My poor dog couldn't figure out what i was doing. Needless to say it took awhile to get warm. Oh did i mention the air temps were about -5 and falling.

Not a pheasant story but My cousin and I were hunting geese at Sand Lake Refuge. A guy I knew came by and joined us in our blind. The short of it is he shot a goose, brought it into the blind. About a half hour later the goose gets up, walks out of the blind gets shot at by about a dozen hunters, and then flys back into the refuge.

Back