Selling safe guns. Option?

reddog

Finished up my mancave a couple weeks ago and had to move the safe out, which meant removing everything from it. This gave me some time to reflect on each piece that is in there. I turned 60 last Friday, and Im thinking about liquidating most of them, for one reason or another. I have a small collection of Marlin Levermatics (5) which are kind of a niche gun, either you know what they are, or you dont. My question is, (and I think I know the answer) would they bring more for sale individually, or as a collection? I have 2 different model 62 256 Win Mags in the collection, and quite a bit of original ammunition which is quite difficult to find.

I only have a 30 year old daughter, who doesnt seem to have any interest to hand them down to.

Any thoughts?

Not sure on the value but understand your plight...however, 30 year old daughter could make a grandson...! Just a thought.

I have a similar problem, but not with such valuable guns. :)
Seems your options might be:
First, on GunBroker or the like, list the collection sold as a group to see if you can attract someone with similar tastes and appreciation for your collection. Let that run for a few weeks or so. (Note, if there is a Marlin Collector's Group, float an inquiry with them on how to put the collection on sale. They've already got an interest.)

Second, if the first option doesn't bring any interest, list the guns individually and monitor them for the individual sales; keep in mind that you don't want them all to come to a conclusion at the same time, just to make this whole deal more orderly and less frenetic.

Third, which is what I'd do for most of my guns, is go to my local gunshop, run by the nicest guy in Wisconsin, and have him put them on his rack, selling them on consignment, with a firm agreement of the minimum price you will accept and a clear (written) statement of his charges.

Best wishes. There will be some tugs at your heart as you merchandise your precious.

To get the top dollar for them it is usually best to use Gun Broker and sell them each by them selves. Run a no reserve auction for 2 weedks and that should get you the fair value. There are other options for sure but the nice thing about GB is you know they are gonna sell in a couple of weeks. Good luck!

Thanks Kismet and Matt, thats kind of what I thought. I am a member of the Marlin Owners group. I need a few more posts in order to list them for sale. Easily accomplished..

Not sure on the value but understand your plight...however, 30 year old daughter could make a grandson...! Just a thought.

Theres a few pieces that will be held back. like the Python.. :)

I plan to liquidate a few guns just to make room for other guns. I thought about gunbroker, as that is where most of my shooty things came from. It sounds like shipping the guns is kind of a pain. Let us know how it goes, however you decide to thin the herd.

Back