Sell me a shotgun...

chewi004

Here is what I am looking for:

Light weight 20 Gauge (preferably 26" barrel(s) weighing between 6-6.5 lbs). Would like an O/U but not set on it. This is going to be my grouse gun so it will not stay pretty for long (I can be hell on guns when hunting). Looking to spend around $800.

I have looked at the following: Stoeger Condours, Stevens Gold Wing, CZ upland Ultra light, Mossburg Silver Reserve, and ATI Calvary. I also looked at the Franchi Instinct (a little more than I want to spend), but that is a sweet gun. I know i know, I'll prob end up with the Franchi...

Right now I have been pretty intrigued with this ATI Calvary. Does anyone know anything about these? My local shop has one that feels and looks great for a great price. They said they cannot hardly keep them in stock because they are a good deal for the $ (I think it was around $550 brand new).

I'm not worried about recoil. I am young enough for that not to bother me too much, and unless things really change around here, we don't do much shooting in a day here in VA. And I will always have my 870 for dove season/shooting clays...

And yes I did some searches on here, but didn't find much up to date info. I would like to turn some of you gun collecters/gun nuts loose once again!

If you look farther down on the thread page, there will be a thread titled "your go to gun". I would advise you to read it, as a lot of members on here made input as to what their one wingshooting gun would be, if they could only carry one. Out of the guns you listed, I would probably choose the CZ.

If you look farther down on the thread page, there will be a thread titled "your go to gun". I would advise you to read it, as a lot of members on here made input as to what their one wingshooting gun would be, if they could only carry one. Out of the guns you listed, I would probably choose the CZ.

Yes I have read through that entire thread, and the one on the CZ Ultralight. That thread gave me some idea's and brought a few of the names I mentioned into the picture.

However, in that thread people are talking about their SxS's, 16 gauges, and plenty of guns out of my price range. That is kind of why I put together my own thread. Somebody's "go to" gun, may not be my ideal grouse gun. I know what my ideal "go to" gun would be, but that is not what I am going to be able to purchase this time!

You might want to just buy another 870 in 20ga. Why I can't tell you how many times I have hunted with someone and they miss a shot and when I ask why, they could not get safety off. I have shot a 1100 so long, taking the safety off is automatic. Something to think about. Remington. has cheap beaters or some very good looking model 870 20ga. Good Shooting

I shoot a Kassner Import made by Fias, 20 ga o/u. It is a quick pointing gun and does not way much at all. This has been a great all around gun for me and I have shot a variety of birds with it. I have had mine for 25+ years and when I bought mine used I paid $300. This was the first gun I ever bought for myself when I was in college. I would think today you could find one on the used market within your price range. Very light weight.

I shoot a Kassner Import made by Fias, 20 ga o/u. It is a quick pointing gun and does not way much at all. This has been a great all around gun for me and I have shot a variety of birds with it. I have had mine for 25+ years and when I bought mine used I paid $300. This was the first gun I ever bought for myself when I was in college. I would think today you could find one on the used market within your price range. Very light weight.

Never heard of em...thanks bud, thats the kind of info I am looking for.

1100 man - that is also a good point. I havent even considered another 870. Guess I am kind of wanting something different., but I guess why fix what isn't broken? I love my 870 12 gauge, it just isnt a good grouse gun.

No problem, these are hard to find but if you do find one I would highly recommend it. The barrels a stamped " Kassnar Imports of Harrisburg Pa" then below that is "made in Italy by Fias, FI.A.S. Stands for Fabrica Italiana Armi Sabatti. Evidently Sabatti is the gunmaker. I have had no problems with it, hope it never breaks as I'm sure part would be a real pain to get. But it has been a great gun and a breeze to carry all day in the field.

My brother has a Stevens 512, decent gun for the price and the new Steven's 555 is supposed to be even better. I'm seriously considering picking one up in .410 myself. I think Steven's lists the 20ga at 5.5lbs, might be worth the $700 price tag.

Another light weight 20 that is hard to find is a beretta silver snipe. I got mine from a family member and I think it is the lightest 20 ga o/u I have ever picked up. I guess I should add that it shoots like a dream, it has 3" chambers so you can use it for almost anything.

My brother has a Stevens 512, decent gun for the price and the new Steven's 555 is supposed to be even better. I'm seriously considering picking one up in .410 myself. I think Steven's lists the 20ga at 5.5lbs, might be worth the $700 price tag.

I handled a stevens 555 and it felt good, but it was the gold wing model (with the golden pheasants on the side). It was certainly heavier than 5.5 lbs but all in all it felt nice. I wasn't big on the pheasants on the side...kind of looked cheap to me. I will be looking for a standard 555 model because I have heard other good things about them as well

Yildz

Acadamey,sports a markets a yidlz shotgun , it's a lot of gun for the money and is below your price range . If you are close to N E Kansas you are welcome to try mine .

Update: Help me identify

UPDATE...

Looked at a Mossburg Silver Reserve 20ga this weekend at BPS. Was not impressed with the "plastic looking" stock. I understand it is laminate, but it looked cheap. The gun handled well.

So I went by a Dicks Sporting Goods and they had a Savage Model 555 20 ga with 26" barrels. I handled this gun and it felt even better. The gun was light, smooth, and has an awesome looking stock. The gun felt awesome in my hand and I liked the option of being able to decide which barrel to shoot first. Price tag was $650...I was very tempted. I really liked the engraving on the gun as well (usually I dont pay attention to the engraving). I went home and started dong some research on the model 555 and never could find anything on a model 555 being engraved. If you google a model 555 there are tons of pictures, or if you look on gun broker, except they are all just plain black. So I am a little confused on whether something is different about this gun (different edition or newer/older)? Below is a picture of the engraving. Wish I had taken some more pictures of it as I am yet to find another like it....

2l8b1h4.jpg
[/IMG]

I am going to continue to do some research and see if I can find anything else on the gun. I have them holding it for me until this weekend. Any help would be great....

Chewi,

Could that be a Stevens 512 Goldwing?

I am not sure...I don't think so because most of the gold wings I have seen have the golden pheasants on the side (or at least have pheasants engraved on the side). Most of the gold wings I handled were also much bulkier than this particular gun. This one was engraved with grouse flushing in front of a pointer. If I google stevens 512 gold wing, I still cannot find any images that look similar to this one. I am convinced there is something different about this particular gun...

I am going this weekend to get the gun. Right now they are running a deal that is $50 off, so I may try to haggle with them and get them to $600 but I dunno if Dicks will even do that. Regardless, from what I can find its a good price on a good gun.

I found a very lghtly used OU CZ Woodcock Deluxe this past fall for my son; a 20ga / 26 inch for $300.00. In the factory box with all of the manuals / paperwork and chokes included. Sweet shooting 20 ga that's for sure.

Just an FYI for anyone who cares...

So after talking to some of my buddies at the local gun shop, I think I figured out what is different about the gun. One of them suggested it may be a "Dick's Sporting Goods" exclusive. They said alot of gun manufacturers are getting into that kind of stuff now. They can order me the same gun with a plain receiver for a little cheaper. I thought I was looking at something special, but I am thinking it is more of a sales gimmick.

I will probably go haggle with them some, but I may pass on the gun now.

I found a very lghtly used OU CZ Woodcock Deluxe this past fall for my son; a 20ga / 26 inch for $300.00. In the factory box with all of the manuals / paperwork and chokes included. Sweet shooting 20 ga that's for sure.

I have this gun. If you got it for $300 I assume you wore a mask because you flatout stole that thing. Well done!

True story, I posted a wanted ad looking for a youth 20 in an Iowa duck hunting forum last fall and the guy pm'd me. Sure it was 300 miles away but I had a brother in law was within 20 miles. So I arraigned for him to pick it up and he brought it back home during the Thanksgiving holidays. My son was thrilled on Christmas morning and got his first pheasant with it a week later. Some things are just ment to be:)

Back