Seeding native grasses organically??

Hey y'all, so I have spoken to a neighboring landowner about doing native grass plantings. (currently fallow cropland) Problem is, they are an organic operation and do not allow for herbicide use. Does anybody know of a way to get NWSG established without tillage or herbicides?

That is how God planted everything originally. No tillage no chemical, He has more time than you probably, I don't know what yow are starting with but all the CRP that I have planted has been that way. I do clip the weeds the first year and any noxious weeds after that, but it works.

As haymaker said. If no tillage, maybe burn it off and hopefully a drill isn't considered tillage. A batwing mower is your weed control for the first 2 years. Good luck to you getting that project going.

I have not done that but have had good luck with a John Deere no till drill. I guess frost seeding is the way God does it.

As haymaker said. If no tillage, maybe burn it off and hopefully a drill isn't considered tillage. A batwing mower is your weed control for the first 2 years. Good luck to you getting that project going.
Just to make sure everyone understands, I did not say burn it off. I would much rather have the soil covered than exposed. I would much rather have that carbon on the soil than in the air.

Might be tough to get the ground-to-seed contact with a ton of residue top. But if it was only fallow for one season and it is covered with maretail (or few or little weed pressure), there might not be much on the ground. Now if it was covered in foxtail, it better be a heavy drill to cut through. Sure, we all would rather have the ground covered, but I think the success of the native grass seeding would out-weight the desire to leave the residue. I personally would try to disk or burn prior to drilling anything in a field that had been fallow, unless you can see dirt, but maybe they are keeping it mowed short. I am picturing the fallow field as a mess currently, it was an organic farm. They must be looking at a CRP program if it qualifies. Was it flooded or hailed out, too wet to plant this spring, why was it left fallow? Talk to the local PF habitat fellas and see what they recommend for a sucessful planting after they look at it. Good luck, hope it happens for you...and you get permission to hunt it!!

Might be tough to get the ground-to-seed contact with a ton of residue top. But if it was only fallow for one season and it is covered with maretail (or few or little weed pressure), there might not be much on the ground. Now if it was covered in foxtail, it better be a heavy drill to cut through. Sure, we all would rather have the ground covered, but I think the success of the native grass seeding would out-weight the desire to leave the residue. I personally would try to disk or burn prior to drilling anything in a field that had been fallow, unless you can see dirt, but maybe they are keeping it mowed short. I am picturing the fallow field as a mess currently, it was an organic farm. They must be looking at a CRP program if it qualifies. Was it flooded or hailed out, too wet to plant this spring, why was it left fallow? Talk to the local PF habitat fellas and see what they recommend for a sucessful planting after they look at it. Good luck, hope it happens for you...and you get permission to hunt it!!
It has been left fallow for many years. They mow it once a year for mulch hay and to keep autumn olive at bay. They are not into CRP because as stated they take hay off of it. Both fields are about 5 acres a piece. And the one is shaped somewhat like an H. Tons of edge. Would be great for switch. On our farm we try to stay away from chemicals as much as possible but we saw our native grass plantings as necessary to control the weeds.

If they are still going to hay it, put your time and energy into your own habitat, that you can control. If they bale whatever grows-up in a fallow field, I would think they will be baling the grass regularly after it gets established.

If they are still going to hay it, put your time and energy into your own habitat, that you can control. If they bale whatever grows-up in a fallow field, I would think they will be baling the grass regularly after it gets established.
It only gets cut once a year prolly around late July.

Just to make sure everyone understands, I did not say burn it off. I would much rather have the soil covered than exposed. I would much rather have that carbon on the soil than in the air.
Dont listen to Haymaker! He loves fire!! lol

Back