Season ain't over yet..

Darin

blackwhite.jpg

Nice picture and very nice looking dog. Hopefully I'll make it back out New Years Weekend. Good Luck to all.

I had a great couple of days hunting in the snow over the Christmas holidays. I'm really looking forward to the last few days in South Dakota. Hopefully, a little more snow to push the birds into the heavy cover.

Nice photo, and good looking dog. Oh I would love to get another hunt in! For me the gear is stashed away but I can't wait till mid Sept to start all over again.:cool: :)

mnmt

Day 1 late season pheasant hunt photos

Darn right the season ain't over yet...

uph-dec-hunt-day1-1.jpg

Chris from UGUIDE and a crew

uph-dec-hunt-day1-2.jpg

Gotta love the pheasant tracks in the snow

uph-dec-hunt-day1-3.jpg

Walking some great cover late season

uph-dec-hunt-day1-4.jpg

Nice older bird

Day 2-3 late season SD pheasant hunting photos

A couple more days of hunting the snow cover...

uph-dec-hunt-day2-1.jpg

Great scenery... snow and pheasants, a great combo

uph-dec-hunt-day2-2.jpg

Fresh pheasant tracks... they are on the run

uph-dec-hunt-day2-4.jpg

This bird flew into the wind and did a mid air turn. It climbed pretty high and joe had his barrel about vertical when he shot it. Joe claims he lead this bird a mile... it was a fine shot to watch.
uph-dec-hunt-day2-5.jpg

Joe bragging about his nice shot

A couple more...

uph-dec-hunt-day2-3.jpg

Sammy's ready for more!

uph-dec-hunt-day2-6.jpg

Late season pheasant hunting success in SD: Courtney, Ryan, Joe & Tyler

Just when I got settled in for the Winter. Now you got me wanting to get out there again:) Hunting after a fresh snow,. the tracks make for a great time.
Nice photos, thanks for sharing:cool:

Nice photos Ryan! This year, I've had 3 Roosters go vertical on me where I was shooting almost straight overhead like Joe. All 3 of those shots are still haunting me because I missed all 3. I figured I was leading the birds too much on those shots, but from what Joe said, maybe I'm not leading them enough. It's a shot I've never figured out, but the next one that goes vertical on me, I'll try leading even more.

JMB

Hey JMBZ71, Weather here in WI isn't looking too good for the final hunt of the season. Are you going to get after 'em anyhow ? Right now I've got rain with 15 - 25 mph wind so I might just call it a year. Might be a good day to clean some guns and get ready for our gun club's opening day of sportingclays next Sunday, Jan. 7th. With temps. in the 30s we'll easily have over 140 shooters show up.

Last edited:
Browndog, I'm going out to SD for the last week of the season. Taking my Dad along. We'll just be hunting some WIA's and maybe do some road hunting. Leaving Tues. morning, if I can whip this cold that's kickin by butt right now. Hey, your gun club sounds like fun. Where's it located?

JMB

Nice photos Ryan! This year, I've had 3 Roosters go vertical on me where I was shooting almost straight overhead like Joe. All 3 of those shots are still haunting me because I missed all 3. I figured I was leading the birds too much on those shots, but from what Joe said, maybe I'm not leading them enough. It's a shot I've never figured out, but the next one that goes vertical on me, I'll try leading even more.

JMB

Leading is one thing, but I think another factor that hurts is not keeping the bird above the sight bead. I found I really need to keep the bead under the bird on longer shots or I shoot over them. This is something I learned from trying to finish off cripples when waterfowl hunting.

A straight up shot, the lead may be fine, but the shot may be beside the bird.

If you mean sunny and 50 for a cold front, then we would be talking. Our season is over, but the weather didn't co-operate this year. I'm heading to Iowa to close out their season this weekend. Maybe I'll have better luck there.

Anyone else get out after the cold front came roaring through? Gotta believe the birds are all bunched up now!

Braved the weather and went out on Saturday by the Kimball area. It was snowing out there instead of raining. Saw a ton of wild birds, but very few close enough to shoot at. Most were longer shots and we just didn't have the luck bringing the birds down. Rather fustrating seeing so many birds and not getting a limit.

Sunday, a completely different story hunting near Sioux Falls with the fresh snow that fell overnight. We had to work a little bit to find the birds, but the birds were holding tight and shooting was right on.

For UGUIDE it's over....here's some pics

Out of 3.5 days of hunting we got 5,6,21,22 birds in 4 days. Thie birds were holding tighter than they were on opening day.

Here's some pics from the hunt.

Miller Lite Pointer
MillerLitePointer.jpg

3 birds from the Pheasant Camp Lodge
3atPCL.jpg

2 for the memory books - Wild Bird Color
colorbirds.jpg

Well...for us in MN, it is over. Could've really used some cold and snow late season, but I found myself and one of my dogs hunting in 40 degrees and downpours last Sunday. The type of day where when you get back to the vechile you realize just how soaked you are and find yourself petting the dog and just literally laughing out loud. I don't know if there are 2 bigger idiots out then then me and him....2 1/2 hours of hunting in anything from sprinkles to downpours on the last day of the season only to see a handful of hens and a fleeting glimpse of a distant rooster. Oh well....time to play guide dog at a couple game farms now for some friends. Gotta be able to scratch that itch somehow.

Sweet pixs fellas!

Back