SE Colorado in Nov.

greyghost

Hello,
I am new to CO and to pheasant hunting. I have dozens of years hunting quail as I hail from AZ. I am going to try a solo to the Lamar area in Nov. but no hunting partner as I had to put my last/best dog down 1 1/2 yrs ago. I am looking for some good advice. Will probably just knock on doors for permission. :eek: Thanks

Welcome to CO and to Pheasant hunting. You are in a hard part of the state. It was hit hard on every level of heat imaginable (baby pheasants dont like too much heat). It will be a bit of a haul for ya, but I would make the road trip and head up to the WIA around Yuma county, or any of the north east areas. All of our WIA's should be good this year. Hope this helps you get into some birds.:cheers:

Ghost, get out now and ask!!! You will be better received and you do not want to spend your hunting time tracking landowners down. As was earlier stated, you are headed to a part of the state that did not have great conditions for nesting or rearing of young chicks! If I were you I would travel North of I-70! However, if you have some irrigated ground it could be worth while!!:cheers:

When the SE has good years, its really good but on the flip side when it has bad years its really bad. I hunt the SE a lot and even in the bad years you can have decent hunts. The SE offers the opportunity to "Shoot it All" in the same trip. I've shot Pheasants, Quail, Ducks & Geese all in the same day, thats what makes the SE special.

Landowners are pretty good since its a good ways from Denver, but things are changing quickly. Colo Spgs is growing and so is Ft Carson and unfortunately that brings a large influx of Texas & Eastern boys that are introducing that leasing crap :mad:

When the SE has good years, its really good but on the flip side when it has bad years its really bad. I hunt the SE a lot and even in the bad years you can have decent hunts. The SE offers the opportunity to "Shoot it All" in the same trip. I've shot Pheasants, Quail, Ducks & Geese all in the same day, thats what makes the SE special.

Landowners are pretty good since its a good ways from Denver, but things are changing quickly. Colo Spgs is growing and so is Ft Carson and unfortunately that brings a large influx of Texas & Eastern boys that are introducing that leasing crap :mad:

Yeah, that leasing ticks me off too :mad::mad:

The guys I hunt with in KS who are landowners say they don't charge us because a) we are friends and b) they are already getting paid by the state and feds thru the CRP.

Greg

This is good information, thank you. My wife and I are trying to sell here in Phoenix and are looking to settle near Colorado City or Walsenburg.
We hunted cow elk near Trinidad in Jan 2010 (successful) and drove I-25 a bit north to Colorado City and we really liked the areas we visited.

This is good information, thank you. My wife and I are trying to sell here in Phoenix and are looking to settle near Colorado City or Walsenburg.
We hunted cow elk near Trinidad in Jan 2010 (successful) and drove I-25 a bit north to Colorado City and we really liked the areas we visited.

I don't see how y'all can handle that heat down there....unreal:eek::eek:

Good luck on selling your house.

Greg

Thanks

My thanks to all of you for the good info. I would like to try the NE for a hunt but cannot at this time. I'll just have to tough it out in the southeast corner for now. Anybody going to Kansas in Jan. I would be interested in hooking up with someone. Thanks again,
Greyghost :thumbsup:

Back