SD Trip#1- t minus 24 hrs.....

Well heading west for our first trip mid morning tomorrow. Going to hunt four days on this trip. I will be sure to post how things went early next week once I return.

Also the wife and I will be attending the PF banquet in Winner, SD this Friday evening. I believe the banquet is for the Rosebud chapter and its starts at 5:30pm.

We will be donating a beautiful orange belton female setter pup to support the Rosebud chapter. This is our 3rd or 4th pup we have donated to various chapters in SD to support the pheasants. Anyone that is considering a setter and might be in the area here's your chance. Come on out and show your support! If you do end up making it don't hesitate to say hello, be nice to meet a few other fellow UPH members.

:10sign:

Last edited:
We will be donating a beautiful orange belton female setter pup to support the Rosebud chapter. This is our 3rd or 4th pup we have donated to various chapters in SD to support the pheasants. Anyone that is considering a setter and might be in the area here's your chance. Come on out and show your support! If you do end up making it don't hesitate to say hello, be nice to meet a few other fellow UPH members.

This is very cool that you are donating that pup. Hats off to you!!! :cheers:

I'm headed out tomorrow morning from Wisconsin as well. Just me and the dog. So looking forward to getting away and enjoying South Dakota.

Good luck and safe travels to you.

My "base camp" will be Pierre, but I will be putting some miles before I ever set foot in the field. I may hit a spot or two NW of Mitchell late tomorrow. I will be public land/ditch hunting exclusively.

My "base camp" will be Pierre, but I will be putting some miles before I ever set foot in the field. I may hit a spot or two NW of Mitchell late tomorrow. I will be public land/ditch hunting exclusively.
Good Luck ....

I am leaving November 1 for 11 days ... Staying in Mitchell

This is very cool that you are donating that pup. Hats off to you!!! :cheers:

I'm headed out tomorrow morning from Wisconsin as well. Just me and the dog. So looking forward to getting away and enjoying South Dakota.

Good luck and safe travels to you.

I am headed out thursday afternoon. When you are up in Pierre try out Mad Mary's this year for a steak. It is a little place downtown. She is the ex wife of the owner of the Cattleman's. I love baked potatoes, but get the potatoes and onions in the foil. The walleye also is some of the best I have ever eaten. The decor is like old western steakhouse/saloon. Real good.

Day #1 done....

Well today was a good day. Three guys and three limits. Were able to get it done before the rain moved in late today. Seen a good volume of birds but still figured we would see more. Corn is coming down quickly and hunting should only get better.

Awesome dog work today- it never gets old. Took us most of the day to get our birds but it's all good. Looking forward to day #2.

Well today was a good day. Three guys and three limits. Were able to get it done before the rain moved in late today. Seen a good volume of birds but still figured we would see more. Corn is coming down quickly and hunting should only get better.

Awesome dog work today- it never gets old. Took us most of the day to get our birds but it's all good. Looking forward to day #2.

very cool to hear congrats beirlsetter happy u had sucess...

never bad if u hunt all day with good dog work & birds to be had sounds fun... cant wait for saturday 5:00 am im outta here

Just returned from SD. Overall it was a great trip. I would say that we hunted 3 out of 4 days. We only hunted a few hours one day because we had to travel to Winner for the PF Banquet where we had donated a puppy.

We covered a lot of ground over the four days. We even spent a very enjoyable day hunting at SD Jim's place. Thanks a bunch Jim, it's very appreciated as always. The rest of the time was in ditches or hunting public ground.

In my opinion I think the numbers are up considerably from the last couple of years. There is a ton of corn still standing at the moment. The combines were going wide open until the 1.5" of rain fell Friday night. It put a complete stop to the harvest. Hopefully they will be able to get going again this week. The majority of the birds are still in the corn. We hunted grass next to corn and the whole time the roosters were cackling at us from the corn.

Once the corn comes down I think you will be able to see just how much the numbers are up. We had no problems getting into birds on private or public. Can't wait for trip #2 Thanksgiving week it should be really excited if the corn is down.

We only hunted a few hours one day because we had to travel to Winner for the PF Banquet where we had donated a puppy.

How did the banquet and auction go? Several times while I was out there last week I heard radio advertisements for the banquet and they said right in the radio ad that they had a special auction item of a setter puppy donated from a kennel in Wisconsin. Pretty cool! :cheers:

Glad you got into a few birds too!

Steve

Well heading west for our first trip mid morning tomorrow. Going to hunt four days on this trip. I will be sure to post how things went early next week once I return.

Also the wife and I will be attending the PF banquet in Winner, SD this Friday evening. I believe the banquet is for the Rosebud chapter and its starts at 5:30pm.

Wish I had noticed this sooner. I was near Winner all last week hunting and saw the PF announcement. I would love a nice setter pup. Had fun hunting that way anyways. Weather was tricky but it was fun.

How did the banquet and auction go? Several times while I was out there last week I heard radio advertisements for the banquet and they said right in the radio ad that they had a special auction item of a setter puppy donated from a kennel in Wisconsin. Pretty cool! :cheers:

Glad you got into a few birds too!

Steve

Steve,

PF Banquet went very well. The pup sold for $875. A lot better than the past pups we have donated. The advertising probably helped.

Last edited:
I am headed out thursday afternoon. When you are up in Pierre try out Mad Mary's this year for a steak. It is a little place downtown. She is the ex wife of the owner of the Cattleman's. I love baked potatoes, but get the potatoes and onions in the foil. The walleye also is some of the best I have ever eaten. The decor is like old western steakhouse/saloon. Real good.

Thanks for the tip on Mad Mary's. We ate there the last 2 nights (!) and the ribeye and prime rib are among the best I've ever had. And I was born and raised on steak.

Back