Sd in hot december

carptom1

Well back to work today after a few days in SD. Thought I would share a few pictures of the hunt.

Day 1

Kansas brittany, his father and two sons, quailhound and his brother, PTM, jonnyb, dthilges (dan) and my buddy george all met up for a day of hunting in jones county. As we were coming up with a game plan, we watched several birds fly into a shelter belt. Well if you see birds you may as well hunt them, so we hit that first. We ended up with a couple, but it should have been more. We continued up around a cattail pond, and up towards a draw that works through a cut cornfield, my favorite. I took a few with me up to the top, and we worked down towards the other half. There were quite a few in that draw, and we ended up with a couple more. I even had an epic miss to share with the group:). It was starting to get hot, and the birds were not sitting at all. The dogs seemed to be working hard, but the conditions were pretty tough on them. We then headed over to a food plot were we harvested a couple of birds. We then headed across to work a grass field, along with a good cattail patch around a pond. As we started on the other end, I knew I had put the others in a good spot, as there was quite a bit of shooting going on. At this point we decided to hit one of the " honey holes" so maybe the boy's could see one of those SD flushes we all hear about. I didn't expect a great deal of birds to be in there, as it was probably 60 degrees and they were spread out pretty good. As we approached, I was a little discouraged as there were no early birds flying out. I thought it might be a waste of effort. Man was I wrong. As soon as we got to the edge, a few birds started flying out. With every few steps, or ring of a shotgun, the sky would fill with birds going in every direction. I don't know how many shots were fired, but it was a bunch. I always have trouble estimating birds in a patch, but five hundred would be a good starting point. I talked to the farmers dad who happened to be watching us, and he said at least five hundred maybe more, so who knows but it was cool. We walked a few more patches, then said our goodbyes as they headed off to a u-guide camp. We ended up with 28 birds for the day, 2 short of a ten man limit. But we had plenty of shooting. Highlight for me was kansasbrittany's son nearly shooting a limit. He ended with two, but tried hard for that third one, just couldn't quite connect.

Day 2

Some other friends came up to hunt the next two days with me. We decided to start in the same tree belt as the day before. As I came around the west side, two roosters quickly flushed screaming by me. I was able to dump them both in short succession. We headed down to the cattails around the pond. I was able to shoot another bird, that my dog got a good mark on in some heavy cattails. He tore off after it, and came back in a couple minutes with the bird. Man that was a nice retrieve. 10:30 and I was limited. We headed over to hunt a pond that always held some birds. As we drove in, the birds started screaming out. There were a hundred or so in there, and I would say at least 50-60 cocks. What a show. We then headed over to a huge grass field surrounded by corn stubble. Man were they in there. We watched several hundred fly out well ahead of us. There were a ton of birds in there, bit it was 70 degrees and they were making us work. Best part of the day was when we were walking out of that field and down the road. Jonnyb and I were a long way from the truck, so we decided to hunt some short grass along the road. The dogs were working good, flushing hens and a couple roosters. All of a sudden my dog jumped from the left side of the road to the right side where there was little cover. He jumped two hens then went back to working on the left. Amazing how these dogs can smell that far. He ended up making a nice retrieve on a runner that was shot in the grass. Great prey drive, That is the key to strong retrieves. You can't teach that. The day ended with us having 20 birds between the eight of us. Great hunt.

Day 3

Started out slow as birds were getting stirred up a little. At 2 we were at about 6 birds. Hit the pond area again and it was loaded with birds. As I stepped out of the truck, my dog wanted to go left instead of right were we were blocking. Always trust the dog, Always trust the dog, Always trust the dog. I need that written on my hand. He proceeded to flush a dozen birds out of that small culvert, I did manage one, but could have had a limit if I would have trusted the dog:). Several birds were taken and we headed on to work some ground we hadn't hit yet. We started in on a big draw with a food plot on the north side. Several birds flushed wild. As we neared the end, there is a patch of cattails. A rooster rocketed out, and I dumped him into the heavy stuff. In tore the dog, and after a couple minutes out he came rooster in mouth. Nothing is better than seeing him crashing out with his prize. Highlight of the day, is watching him flush all those birds out of that ditch.

Well I better get to work as I have a heavy week. Hope everybody gets home safely. Good luck hunting and have a Merry Christmas.

buddy with a sd limit

buddy winding birds. He is the only lab I have had that will do that

SD

Sounds like you guys had an excellent hunt. Hello to all.

Big flush

I think the 500 bird flush is on the money. I like to describe it as an F5 Tornadic super cell of ring neck pheasants. They would flush out see the blockers scramble for altitude and come back at us. It truly was epic. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little tunnel visional in that patch. Tom thanks again for letting me come with. Your whole group was a pleasure to be around and I was very impressed with the skill of everyone's dog. The whole experience was truly world class in every way.:cheers:

I think the 500 bird flush is on the money. I like to describe it as an F5 Tornadic super cell of ring neck pheasants. They would flush out see the blockers scramble for altitude and come back at us. It truly was epic. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little tunnel visional in that patch. Tom thanks again for letting me come with. Your whole group was a pleasure to be around and I was very impressed with the skill of everyone's dog. The whole experience was truly world class in every way.:cheers:

Patrick you are very welcome. I really hadn't thought of it as a tornado, but that was the sight. It was hard to figure out what was what. If I had it to do over I would have a camera not a gun. It is hard to describe.

Patrick you are very welcome. I really hadn't thought of it as a tornado, but that was the sight. It was hard to figure out what was what. If I had it to do over I would have a camera not a gun. It is hard to describe.

I was overwhelmed. Euphoric is my best effort at labeling it.

Agreed, I'll be better served by carrying the camera next time.

As PTM stated, this was a wonderful time. You're a great guy and despite being out of my element in the group setting, somehow I felt both safe and comfortable. I've never seen so many birds and my boys and I greatly appreciate the opportunity:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nice recap, Carptom1.

The 500+ flush was truly remarkable...it looked like mallards circling the water - birds everwhere.

The weather was very warm, but the dogs kept working. My Golden was still hunting the ditch at 5:20 and managed a hen for his effort. I''ll echo Tom's remark about "prey drive."

My Max went through a 2wo-week course with a trainer; only pidgeons were used, no obedience. At the end of the training period the dog was "imprinted" with the idea that chasing birds is his main event. Those that have hunted with him will attest to his drive and intensity.

Our first day hunt included hunters from Montana, California, Kansas, Iowa and MN.. What a group! Great fun and lots of shooting.

Last edited:
I was overwhelmed. Euphoric is my best effort at labeling it.

Agreed, I'll be better served by carrying the camera next time.

As PTM stated, this was a wonderful time. You're a great guy and despite being out of my element in the group setting, somehow I felt both safe and comfortable. I've never seen so many birds and my boys and I greatly appreciate the opportunity:thumbsup:

Chad,

It was great of you to share this with your boys. I know paying for three mouths on a deal like this is a stretch on a working man's budget. I have been doing it for a few years now. This fall, because of finances, we should not have gone. But when I saw them proudly down some birds, it did not matter. Your son tucker is a fine respectful young man. He is also a good, focused, safe hunter. You can tell him he can hunt with me anytime. Now the other one, he is waaaay to pretty, you better keep your eye on him when he gets older.:D. It was a pleasure hunting with your dad also. He seemed to enjoy himself.

Last edited:
Its nice to know I got something right. Thanks again and again, Tom! The boy is hooked for life. He was on top of the world. Thanks for your kind words about him. I'll be sure to let him see this thread.

Yes, the wee man is too purdy. He's also a little wilder than I could tell through my parental blinders:cool:

Yes, dad was elated. God willing, we'll have another opportunity to do it in the future.

Hey Mark,

You were missed - quite a bird flush, in two places. Huntmaster Tom was at his best in sheparding all of us around. He was so busy thinking about "hunter management" that he forgot to shoot at a rooster flying over his head.

Hey Mark,

You were missed - quite a bird flush, in two places. Huntmaster Tom was at his best in sheparding all of us around. He was so busy thinking about "hunter management" that he forgot to shoot at a rooster flying over his head.

That bird had no tail. It was the second one I saw this weekend that literally had his tail shot off. I heard you guys yelling rooster, but when I saw no tail it jacked me up. By the time I figured it out he was humming pretty good.

Had two birds (you were there) that rose into the sun, short tails on both that I let go - uncertain targets. Pheasants always seem to confound the best of shooters; guess that's why they are so challenging to hunt.

My brother and I are very greatful for the opportunity Tom. What an awesome day, please thank the land owner for us for managing his land so well.:thumbsup:

Way to make sure a feller who was supposed to be there & couldn't, know EXACTLY what he missed! :p

Wish I could've got in on all the fun & met everybody as planned. Maybe SD will be finally in the cards for me next year...
Glad to hear y'all had such a good time, got along, knocked 'em dead & witnessed a couple of those special mass flushes! :10sign: :cheers:

Way to make sure a feller who was supposed to be there & couldn't, know EXACTLY what he missed! :p

Wish I could've got in on all the fun & met everybody as planned. Maybe SD will be finally in the cards for me next year...
Glad to hear y'all had such a good time, got along, knocked 'em dead & witnessed a couple of those special mass flushes!

Roger,

We were certainly short on Labs so we could have used another one or so. Maybe next year. Here are a couple more pics from the trip.

Dthilges black lab. Dan is a new member and a great kid from Iowa that joined me for three days

Buddy with a retrieve

Tired dog

Striking a pose

Sd habitat

Mark,

we missed you up there. I am sure you had more fun at your conference:)

Boy, are you wrong about the conference. But I managed to get through it and get my ticket punched for continuing ed. I had to keep my mind off the fun you guys were having in order not to feel pretty bad about it. LOL.

Back