SD Hunt; The good.........The bad..........And the ugggly

carptom1

Just back at work from a trip in SD and thought I would share a few thoughts. First the good:

Enjoyed hunting with a few uph'ers in sd this past weekend. Really enjoy seeing other guy's and their dogs and how they hunt. Rod (natty bumpo) really enjoyed watching those cockers work. Wow what energy they have, little blurrs of fur:thumbsup: Enjoyed watching the track and retrieve in that CRP field. I wasn't close enough to see all of it but it was sure we were not finding that bird without a good retriever. Great little dogs. Charles (Dsmtsi) enjoyed hunting with you and your buddy dead-eyed-joe. Man that guy could shoot. Kinda reminded me of myself when I was young. :mad: Charles that little gsp is wired for sound. She just needs some seasoning. JonnyB enjoyed you and kirk as always. Really enjoyed that beautiful golden work. What a pretty dog. Enjoyed the entire trip. My dog has really started to figure it out. His stamina is incredible. I was a little disappointed a couple weeks ago when his foot injury slowed him a little. He was a machine this weekend and it made my trip. He put up a ton of hens, and as I counted at least 20 shootable roosters in three days. I watched him jump in some tumbleweeds and have two birds shoot out from under him. I think we might have a near mid air catch of a hen somewhere I will try to get. I shot a bunch ( more on that later)

Ps the 11 0z filet at mad mary's. man that was good, so was the ribeye, the walleye, and the carmel apple cheescake ( hey I burned a bunch of calories)

Also the dog bringing me two cripples really makes me feel good. A good retriever is a great conservation tool:thumbsup:

The bad:

The wind. Friday was 40mph and made for some really tough hunting. Birds didn't want to fly. The ones that did were turbocharged. Bird numbers were down for sure. We still saw a few hundred birds, but way less than years past. The good thing is there were a bunch of hens. My buddies dog. He was a great hunter a few years ago, but has really declined the last couple. I think he finally has figured out he is done. The difference is great, he had very few shootable birds. Stepping in a hole and turning my ankle. I only blocked one field in three day's:eek:. Nearly hitting a huge buck on saturday night. Man that was close.

The ugly:

My shooting was absolutely horrible. I have hunted pheasants since I was 12 and have never had a trip like this. I gave a guy a bit of advice that I give my sons a while back, shoot at the next one like you have never missed. I needed somebody feeding that crap to me cause I sucked. In that wind they were getting up close, too close to shoot, then catching the wind and by the time you moved your feet to shoot they were gone. I started pressing and then missing shots even when the wind died some. Thought I was over it saturday when I had two down by 11 or so, but no it continued. Worst shooting I have ever had. Part of the problem is even after all the pheasants I have harvested over the years, my balls still go in my throat everytime the dog blasts one up. I love it! Even the dog started looking at me kinda funny. I get soooo excited when I get to go. I hope that never changes. The shooting will come back always has. I have a few pictures somewhere but I was challenged a little this weekend.

Last edited:
Just back at work from a trip in SD and thought I would share a few thoughts. First the good:

Enjoyed hunting with a few uph'ers in sd this past weekend. Really enjoy seeing other guy's and their dogs and how they hunt. Rod (natty bumpo) really enjoyed watching those cockers work. Wow what energy they have, little blurrs of fur:thumbsup: Enjoyed watching the track and retrieve in that CRP field. I wasn't close enough to see all of it but it was sure we were not finding that bird without a good retriever. Great little dogs. Charles (Dsmtsi) enjoyed hunting with you and your buddy dead-eyed-joe. Man that guy could shoot. Kinda reminded me of myself when I was young. :mad: Charles that little gsp is wired for sound. She just needs some seasoning. JonnyB enjoyed you and kirk as always. Really enjoyed that beautiful golden work. What a pretty dog. Enjoyed the entire trip. My dog has really started to figure it out. His stamina is incredible. I was a little disappointed a couple weeks ago when his foot injury slowed him a little. He was a machine this weekend and it made my trip. He put up a ton of hens, and as I counted at least 20 shootable roosters in three days. I watched him jump in some tumbleweeds and have two birds shoot out from under him. I think we might have a near mid air catch of a hen somewhere I will try to get. I shot a bunch ( more on that later)

Ps the 11 0z filet at mad mary's. man that was good, so was the ribeye, the walleye, and the carmel apple cheescake ( hey I burned a bunch of calories)

Also the dog bringing me two cripples really makes me feel good. A good retriever is a great conservation tool:thumbsup:

The bad:

The wind. Friday was 40mph and made for some really tough hunting. Birds didn't want to fly. The ones that did were turbocharged. Bird numbers were down for sure. We still saw a few hundred birds, but way less than years past. The good thing is there were a bunch of hens. My buddies dog. He was a great hunter a few years ago, but has really declined the last couple. I think he finally has figured out he is done. The difference is great, he had very few shootable birds. Stepping in a hole and turning my ankle. I only blocked one field in three day's:eek:. Nearly hitting a huge buck on saturday night. Man that was close.

The ugly:

My shooting was absolutely horrible. I have hunted pheasants since I was 12 and have never had a trip like this. I gave a guy a bit of advice that I give my sons a while back, shoot at the next one like you have never missed. I needed somebody feeding that crap to me cause I sucked. In that wind they were getting up close, too close to shoot, then catching the wind and by the time you moved your feet to shoot they were gone. I started pressing and then missing shots even when the wind died some. Thought I was over it saturday when I had two down by 11 or so, but no it continued. Worst shooting I have ever had. Part of the problem is even after all the pheasants I have harvested over the years, my balls still go in my throat everytime the dog blasts one up. I love it! Even the dog started looking at me kinda funny. I get soooo excited when I get to go. I hope that never changes. The shooting will come back always has. I have a few pictures somewhere but I was challenged a little this weekend.

Yes, thanks for the detailed report Tom. There sure are a lot of UPHr's hunting together these days:thumbsup: Can't wait till a couple guys get together that don't like each other and want to air it out here....that should be fun:D

Hey Tom:

Kirk and I had a grand time getting bussed and guided for three day's. For some reason, we fared better the first day (40 mph wind) than the other two.

Max is a bit pooped, but will be ready for Saturday's hunt with my buddies from church. He had several outstanding points - fortunately more roosters than hens.

Looking forward to the next outing...

Kudos

Hey Tom,

Kudos for the newsy report. And thanks for letting this Michigander tag along with your group. Hunting behind your Bud dog was pure pleasure; he's one of the best Upland Labs I've seen in a half century of bird hunting. And that's been a bunch. He's very athletic, excellent conformation, great prey drive and good On/OFF switch in the bus. I really liked the way Bud and my Rocky teamed up to tear apart a wide swath of that CRP. That quarter held a lot of birds but killing them in that wind was another matter altogether.:cool:

The weather wasn't the greatest and the bird pops are definitely down but it was still a good time. Good Luck Huntin' the rest of the season.

Rod

Can't wait till a couple guys get together that don't like each other and want to air it out here....that should be fun:D

Yes, that is indeed quality entertainment. I watched a doozy play out on another forum one time -- it went on for months afterward, it seemed. I eagerly anticipated each new installment of the brouhaha.

Yes, thanks for the detailed report Tom. There sure are a lot of UPHr's hunting together these days:thumbsup: Can't wait till a couple guys get together that don't like each other and want to air it out here....that should be fun:D

You can say that again toughest guys I have ever seen behind a computer but I am taking zebs advice just let it go :D

What are you talking about? Doesn't sound like letting it go to me:)

not you carp the thread about the chiefs voiced my opinion on them and a certain idiot woops I mean hijack woops I mean a guy couldn't wait to stumble over his straw hat to jump on me for dogging the cant city chiefs :D

The bad:

The ugly:

I had a great time and hope we can do it again. I know Joe also had a lot of fun and loved seeing all the birds.

The dogs loved it and was something they both needed really bad, I had some issues with collars and knowing where the dogs were at times and that's never good. I defiantly couldn't handle both of them at the same time, so thanks for letting me use that kennel on the bus. It took the dogs two days to get their heads around all that scent they both had their best day on Sunday.

I will agree that your labs conformation and field work are great. That guy is just built to hunt upland game. He has that fire in his eyes.

My shooting was also junk, I've had a really good year with doves, training birds, and geese. I really haven't missed much this year and I SUCKED that weekend. On Sunday I missed TWO limits, I had better do better this weekend as were on public and I won't get all those chances.

Thanks again for the invite and if your ever in our neck of the woods let me know. :cheers:

Back