SD Crops Update

UplandHntr

I posted this in the SD forum without any resposes so I thought I would try it here. Has anyone else heard this about molding crops??

I made motel reservations in Waubay today. In talking with the owner of the motel, he asked what was bringing me to town. I said PHEASANTS ! Are there a few around? He said..very few I almost choked on my lunch as he was serious. He said 95% of the corn was still in and the beans were 75% out. He then said that the corn probably wouldnt be coming out until February. So, after I stopped choking AND picked myself up off the floor I asked what he meant and he said a great % of the corn in the NE corner of SD is moldy, on the stalks and is useless and therefore will be plowed under. It wont even be combined. I kept the reservation but should I be second guessing this? Ive never heard of this before. He said he knows of thousands and thousands of acres of corn that will sit through out the winter and never be combined.
Scary stuff
Anyone else hear this?

Yes, most corn is moldy, I also have it in western and southern Wisconsin. The farm I hunt in SD currently said they have some out for testing to see if it will be toxic and if it will come off once the corn is dry. Haven't heard any results yet.

I wouldn't have but just moisture tested some of my own corn and the ears that were pointed up have the most black mold on them and others had minimal mold. I am way down south but that stuff up north must be pretty bad too.

Just talked to my guy in the Rockham area. They have been hammering corn for almost two weeks and the ground is pretty dry. They are lucky cause just north it is a mess. Sounds like this week and next will be a big plus for getting crops off. I'm leaving the 14th to head out to the Rockham area.

Will be hunting in the Cavour/Yale area this weekend. We will be hunting mostly private ground hopefully our contact is getting the corn out also. Not to far from Rockham, he has said the corn crop is very good! Looking forward to a few cold ones at the "Scoreboard" and a big prime rib. I believe the owners are Packer backers and have never missed a chance to harass me about the Vikes...payback time!

SOUTH OF DOLAND 20,21 AND 22 NOV. SHOULD BE GOOD.
iF YOU HITB THE GRASS HARD AT SUNDOWN YOU WILL SEE SOME BIRDS. BELEIVEIT OR NOT, PUT YOUR WADERS ON AND HIT SOME SLOUGHS IN DAYTIME. THE WISE OLD BIRDS ARE HANGING OUT THERE.
________
BUY SILVER SURFER

Last edited:
My renter just stripped my corn out on both farms today and yesterday and the hunting has changed overnight. Put up about 300 birds in a 2 hour walk. Birds are way spooky. The dog did not flush 1 of them (new lab that hasn't figured game out yet).

The birds are there.

My renter just stripped my corn out on both farms today and yesterday and the hunting has changed overnight. Put up about 300 birds in a 2 hour walk. Birds are way spooky. The dog did not flush 1 of them (new lab that hasn't figured game out yet).

The birds are there.

was your corn OK?

I know on our land around Huron the corn is great 17-20% moisture, and yields are fantastic. Combines are startin to roll in the corn. Things have dried up nicely according to our renter. Looking forward to a great hunt this weekend...will report.

Just returned from hunting in the Huron area. Lots of corn out there. Last half hour was when the birds came out. We had our best luck in CRP that was not surrounded by corn (obvious but true). Had some great spots that were surrounde by corn...very few birds. The birds are there but so is the corn. 8 guys 21 birds in a day and a half of hunting. Way below our usual success rate.

There is mold on a lot of the corn in SD. Actually 3 different kinds of mold. But they have determined that the strains of mold they are finding are not the toxic kind so it shouldn't effect the harvest. They say most of the mold will be knocked off the kernels when it goes through the combine.

Back