SD adding more preserves

I have friends that drive from AR/TN to SD to shoot pen raised birds. Unbelievable. They pass 1/2 dozen preserves in the KC area on the way there, not sure what difference would be. Maybe not far enough away from the wives.

Lots of truth in the last sentence. Just go to Dallas SD during the season and figure it out.
I hunt a preserve in SD about once every other year, usually in March to "clean up" the survivors. Keeps the dogs in tune and cures winter boredom. The habitat is much more extensive on preserves in SD than other states. QUOTE=Gumboot;235768]I have friends that drive from AR/TN to SD to shoot pen raised birds. Unbelievable. They pass 1/2 dozen preserves in the KC area on the way there, not sure what difference would be. Maybe not far enough away from the wives.[/QUOTE]

sounds like SD has bought most of the pen raised birds around the 5 state area? pretty much a sign of the dwindling bird populations this summer..........long way to travel for many, to shoot pen raised birds, but the scenery is nice.

sounds like SD has bought most of the pen raised birds around the 5 state area? pretty much a sign of the dwindling bird populations this summer..........long way to travel for many, to shoot pen raised birds, but the scenery is nice.

That is a good observation. They day the stocking of birds increased when bird numbers and CRP started declining.

I know I am one of those evil guys who hunts at preserves from time to time so don't judge me too quickly, but I don't see a problem with preserves. I have hunted across the road from preserves on public land and have been able to shoot some birds that probably escaped from the preserve. I sometimes mix up a day or two of preserve hunting with some wild bird hunting in the same week. I love to hunt and hang out with buddies on these trips, but I also like to pull the trigger and shoot some birds as well. According to the article almost half of the released birds were not shot by the preserve. That is a way to bring bird numbers back up. By the way if it wasn't for pen raised chinese ringnecks we wouldn't have a bird to shoot in the wild or at a preserve. Remember where they came from!

I agree with the idea of shooting at a preserve; I do it mainly in the early fall to get the dog some work or for training at an early age.

It's amazing how smart some of the pen birds can be - running ahead and out of range or other crafty moves that are usually confined to wild types. And they seem to fly the same...

I don't use preserves as I have a friend who raises birds for training, however I certainly would use them otherwise for training my French Britt Biscuit.

Back