Scarpa Foot Wear

RedNose

After reading the Orvis footwear post I figured I'd throw in about Scarpa boots (now remember these are Italian made boots so the last is does not fit like American lasts in fact if you look at European boots each country has a wee bit of a different from one another)

I've never purchased anything from Orvis, but I tried American made boots when I moved here to the Lower 48. Bought 2 pairs of Danners...I've nearly trashed the Quarry model and the elk hunting insulated model(both models were lined with Goretex) is OK but very disappointing. Both boots leak badly with in wet conditions, the Quarry model was extremely pooly stitched as I've blown out the stitching in less than 3 years with my European mountaineering boots I get years and years out of my footwear.

I have since gone back to Scarpa. Scarpa has seen me through lots of mountaineering, ice climbing, back country skiing, etc. and never failed me the way Danner has.
Here is what I use for hunting, Scarpa Charmoz GTX, nice boot, no leather, water proof, light weight and this boot will take a crampon if you need it to.

http://www.scarpa.com/scarpa/product...NTAIN/p_71030G

The biggest deal with the lug sole is that is cleans itself and that is hard for some to do. I did try using silicone spray on the soles of my mountaineering boots once to stop balling up of snow (very annoying and dangerous).

BTW have any of you ever tried kangaroo hide boots? I had a pair way back in 1968-1970 I loved them. Tough has hell and light weight.

The Orvis boot report was great as I did see that Orvis stands behing therir product.

Last edited:
I have hunted for years in a pair of leather Scarpa backpacking boots and they are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. I think they are the SL boots. The leather has taken a beating over the many years chasing birds I think mainly from the CRP. I try to keep the leather conditioned but they have worn quite a bit. This year I got a pair of Red Head boots on clearance ($60ish) and just about wore them out in one season. I should get another season out of them before they totally give out. I was contemplating a pair of Danners and then read you post. Who knows what I will do. I wish LL Bean still made the Technical Upland boot, that looked promising.

I also wear Scarpa (Telemark) ski boots and I would say they are a big reason I will never go back to alpine skiing. My Scarpas are as comfortable as any shoe or boot I own and when you can say that about your ski boots you have something special.

I have had Danners for several years. The first pair held up really well.
But the last 3 pairs have no lasted a full season without leaking. Thanks goodness that Cabela's took them back due to the leaks. (Pronghorns)

I am going to try something new for my next pair. Its a shame that the Danners are not holding up like they used to. I like everything else about them.

I have hunted for years in a pair of leather Scarpa backpacking boots and they are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. I think they are the SL boots. The leather has taken a beating over the many years chasing birds I think mainly from the CRP. I try to keep the leather conditioned but they have worn quite a bit. This year I got a pair of Red Head boots on clearance ($60ish) and just about wore them out in one season. I should get another season out of them before they totally give out. I was contemplating a pair of Danners and then read you post. Who knows what I will do. I wish LL Bean still made the Technical Upland boot, that looked promising.

I also wear Scarpa (Telemark) ski boots and I would say they are a big reason I will never go back to alpine skiing. My Scarpas are as comfortable as any shoe or boot I own and when you can say that about your ski boots you have something special.
I was told that ll bean is going to bring back the technical upland boot this summer, I plan to try another pair. first pair leaked

Back