Scaled Quail question

esetter

I would really like to get into some scaled (blue) quail. We go to western kansas every year and its not too much further to CO. Would it be worth our time to drive to co and look for public land scaled quail? If so , where geographically? Thanks!

They're pretty widely distributed throughout SE CO. That said, finding more than one covey (or even one) in a day can be a challenge. There is plenty of public land, between the Cimarron Grasslands and some more or less quail-specific WIA, especially in Prowers County. They inhabit multiple habitats, but I've had best luck in the sand-sage country, vs. the Pinyon/Juniper or cholla/yucca/grassland areas. As I mentioned in another thread, their numbers seem to be pretty decent this year - surprising considering the recent severe drought in that area.

Thank you much for the information. It will be more of a get them off my list project. Never hunted Co but would also like to get it off of my places to hunt list! I hear those scaled run like crazy?

esetter,
just tried to send you a pm and it logged me out when I hit send.:mad:

not sure if you got it or not.

I'm out of here before it starts snowing. Will try to resend sunday or monday.

yes , they run like crazy ! if you get into a large covey......just shoot in front of them and break them up. Then you can hunt them on foot :D

I'm out ! have a great weekend

SE Colorado holds them for sure. I spent some time searching them out this year. There is so much public land down there it's almost intimidating. Everything the northeast is the southeast isn't (in a good way). Get your legs underneath ya and get after them, next season of course ;)

Its definitely on my list of things to do! Do you ever find bobwhites in the same areas? Ive shot my share of bobs , just curious.

Cool pics , I will be in contact with you CO guys closer to the 2015 season. I really appreciate the info.

Back