SC to KS

Same questions only 9.5 months later. Last January I wrote asking for advice/ what to expect in regards to hunting around the Manhattan area. Well as luck (god's plan) would have it I was awaken to the horrid sounds of my wife and son screaming get out, get out! My home was engulfed in flames just hrs before my scheduled trip to KS to pheasant hunt with one of my best friends and also pay a visit to my father in laws. Well this year my work schedule has me off the week of the opener in KS. I will arrive (plan to anyways) in Milford on Thurs night before the opener in hopes of using Friday to scout me out a place to put the boots on the ground Sat. I am planning on heading West and North, not terribly far but up in Mitchell county. Am I wasting my time messing around in these parts, should I shoot farther north to SD? I will have to be back to work the following Thursday and if I can save a day of driving the better off I will be. Those 26-27hr straight through drives are a beast. Let alone very unsafe. I have no desire to do that again. 2 trips last year to SD I hope I have learned a lesson. I'm still doing my research, and not trying to steal someone else's spot or crowd the walk in areas. Just curious as what to expect. Can I reasonably expect to get a crack at a rooster or two with a good dog, an average dog and fairly fit man ready to put boots to the ground? Thanks in advance for any and al info!

Josh

Definitely SD. Last year was as bad in KS as I can recall. Some areas might be better but they are starting from very bad and simply moving to bad.

You probably heard that South Dakota is expecting a 42% increase and be at the level of harvesting nearly 1 1/2 Million roosters.

We had our toughest year to date in 2013/2014 season with and estimated harvest of around 180,000 or so birds ( Lowest harvest since we started keeping records )

We will see and increase this year from last but the quick numbers suggest that South Dakota will have 5 times the harvest or better than KS .

It's hard not to suggest SD , I f want to shoot some quail and get a chance at a ringneck and see what KS looks like after modest rebound after 4 years of severe drought it might be worth a look .

There it is in Black and White ,

Best of luck and send us some pictures from your trip wether be in KS or SD

yes...if it's pheasants you crave....Kansas will be a disappointment ....birds are doing "better" but not worth the drive from SC. GO to North or South Dakota...you will have a hunt of a lifetime.....I'm going SD again this year.....I still hunt my quail grounds in Kansas but pheasants are few and far between.

yes...if it's pheasants you crave....Kansas will be a disappointment ....birds are doing "better" but not worth the drive from SC. GO to North or South Dakota...you will have a hunt of a lifetime.....I'm going SD again this year.....I still hunt my quail grounds in Kansas but pheasants are few and far between.

From a return on investment perspective, you're better off traveling to the Dakotas if you want to shoot Pheasants. I'm going to eat lots 'o quail this year, or so it would seem though!

you can save a few miles and hunt the Winner, SD area.......it's no better than anywhere else, just the closest area i can think of......far enough into SD to have plenty of birds.

responses

Thanks to those that have pm'd or responded. Still undecide as to where I will ultimately lay the boot leather down

i just drove to Kansas the other day to hunt prairie chickens for 1 day... 6 hour ride each way...then bet I drove 100 miles plus..while I was out there getting to all my spots....lol. I'm too insane to offer any meaningful input...lol

Back