Sam's last bird

Good afternoon,

Quick story about my Dad's bird dog, Sam.

Ole Sam will be 13 this year, has hip issues from jumping their dang 6 foot fence chasing after squirrels and really struggles if he hunts more than a half hour or so. Really tough seeing such a good hunting dog not be able to do what he loves.

My dad and I took Sam out to our hunting property this past December on a car ride, had my Benelli with me and figured I'd get him out of the truck and walk him around the little 20 acre corn/CRP field just for kicks.

My dad kept him on a lead to help keep him close (not that he would have went far anyways) and before we know it Sam starts getting birdy. Rooster pops up and I was able to make a decent enough shot to bring the bird down.

Sam finds the bird for us, and that proud trot that Sam had back to the truck is something I'll never forget. Sam was one of the best hunting dogs I've been around, just a phenomenal nose and great drive, but also a wonderful dog at home and around the family.

Sam looks pretty happy. Nice of you to let him experience a hunt and a retrieve, but wasn't too taxing on his system. He got the fun without the wear and tear. Good job!

Forgot to mention, that was my first wild rooster as well. Was exclusively a big game bowhunter up until this past year, fell in love with waterfowling and upland game!

Congradulations on stepping up to bird hunting.The sport of kings.Good job on getting your older dog a bird.That makes their day.I remember my dogs last hunt, and I was able to knock a few down.

Nothing but smiles from men and dog. That's bird hunting for you.

Back