Rio bismuth for 16 gauge

mgorvi

Just a heads up that Ableammo has 16 ga. Bismuth in stock. It's made by a company owned by Rio Ammo. I ordered a box of 25 for $47 plus shipping. Maybe should have ordered Niceshot, but I'll give this a try. Kent TM just impossible to find. BP had it for $57 for box of ten shells. Hope it works. I have a box of steel, but I'm a little reluctant to use it in my older gun.

I found one place online that was selling Tungsten Matrix 16ga for $67. a
box.
Looks like Rio Bismuth or Nice Shot are the best options this year.

Rio Bismuth

I'm gonna end up with a box of 4s and a box of 6s. I want to try both sizes. I read that bismuth fractures really easy so in my very simple mind I thought it would be better to fracture 4s than 6s, and of course that makes no sense. I'll be coming through your way on the 10th, if you are around then. I got the house in Miller again for the week, if anybody needs a place to bunk and wants to hunt. There is quite a bit of school land north of there that I want to check out. I gotta talk to my farmer friend so we can get on his place. Wisconsin maple syrup, sharp cheddar, and Spotted Cow beer will hopefully help. Hope your back is behaving so we don't have to hunt in Colorado.

Nice shot

I don't think you can get it anywhere else. I've searched that topic to no avail. I think you can buy the shot in bulk, but not the finished product.

Thanks, I called the nice shot number about a month ago and all he had was 4 shot in bulk. Very proud of his stuff, Ive heard it is a good product, but never used it. I like bismuth coming out in full boxes it's cheaper that way than buying bulk. ITX is cheaper in bulk, but all the other stuff is way to expensive or difficult to find. Thanks for the heads up.

RST sells loaded nice shot.

They are definitely not inexpensive, but they do perform well in fine old double-guns. Considering what I have invested in guns & my exceptional canine partner, I don't mind paying that price. I'm retired now & am approaching the end of a life-long bird-hunting trail; I intend to enjoy what remains to the max.

I'm retired now & am approaching the end of a life-long bird-hunting trail; I intend to enjoy what remains to the max.

Amen to that brother! I'm in the same boat. Every year gets a little tougher and I know the end of nearly 60 years of upland hunting is not too far away.

I bought a case of Kent TM several years ago when they were discontinuing the 1 1/4 oz. loads. Paid $425 for a case. 25 boxes of 10 shells each. So I have about $1.70 per shell invested. Not bad. I sure them sparingly.

I've had pretty good luck shooting steel 6's through my 28 & 20 gauge autoloaders, also.

The Hevishot Classic Doubles is the shell that I prefer....nothing hits like
they do in upland situations

The thread was about Rio bismuth, if hevi shot was so great I wouldn't think they'd need guys pimping it so hard on upland forums. I'll say that the amount of posts I've seen like this on the forum has turned me off from the stuff.:thumbsup:

The thread was about Rio bismuth, if hevi shot was so great I wouldn't think they'd need guys pimping it so hard on upland forums. I'll say that the amount of posts I've seen like this on the forum has turned me off from the stuff.:thumbsup:

Good call quail hound. I checked the guys posts and over 75% were promoting Hevishot. I also did some searching on the web and found him doing the same elsewhere. He obviously was using this site for unauthorized advertising. As of this morning the dude has been permanently banned.

Ableammo

I got a box of 4s and a box of 6s of Rio bismuth on the way. It was only $1.50 more for shipping two boxes instead of one, and I want to try both sizes. I also ordered 4 boxes of Federal High Shok 5s in lead, but not the $35 stuff, so I apparently am learning.

rio

I got a box of 5's for the 28 gauge and some 6 for the 16 gauge. I hope this stuff delivers. I have used hevi-shot and like it but I thought this guy was warned and threatened banishment. Oh there it is a 10 minute major for repetitive product endorsement, nice.

Last edited:
I picked up some of the Hevi-Shot "Pheasant" and not only is is ridiculously overpriced, it patterns too tight. I was getting 80% patterns (at 40 yards) with my skeet choke which means either missed or destroyed birds at 20 - 30 yards.

Sunday I took my old 16 gauge Remington 11 out duck hunting here in WI and I had some of the (now out of business) "Bismuth Shot Company" 4's and they did a very good job on some flooded timber wood ducks. I had bought them at a Gander Mountain some years ago on closeout, but I'd just never tried any until yesterday. They gave me a quick appreciation for the effectiveness of bismuth. Sure was fun to have that old 16 gauge out!

Back