Retired guy- love to hunt!

Tuckr2

Thanks for the ad. I use this site all the time but never thought to join till recently. It’s all about the hunt, whether it be pheasants, quail, hun, sharpies, or turkey. Retired in 2016 and now spend days with my hunting companions (dogs) trying to stay in shape for hunting. While I live and hunt Washington state, I have come to love my trips to NODak each fall.

Attachments

• 624FC219-58BC-4223-86EE-B078A8949AF0.jpeg
    624FC219-58BC-4223-86EE-B078A8949AF0.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to the forum! I like the looks of that dog!
That’s my older springer spaniel Sophie. About 1/4 field spaniel. Good working dog with the ability to slow down outside the field. My other pup Rita.

Attachments

• 0779F1DC-1888-4B90-B1D5-904244F0E8BA.jpeg
    0779F1DC-1888-4B90-B1D5-904244F0E8BA.jpeg
    896.1 KB · Views: 3
Here's my oldest and youngest on the boat. Berkley (liver and white) turned 3 last March. Cash will be 1 in a couple weeks. Cash is 100% field bred, with a crazy pedigree. He's still looking for that off switch. The second pic is Benny. He's our "old man" dog, but he just turned three last month. He's good in the field, but he hunts more like a lab than my other two do.

Attachments

• 20220729_085217.jpg
    20220729_085217.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220715_125515.jpg
    20220715_125515.jpg
    914.4 KB · Views: 4
Love my springers. Have had a handful over the last 50 years. Each one has a different personality and gives us unique memories. They hunt their butts off during hunting season and re perfectly content to lay around on the sofa or bed during the off season. They do however love to be with me pretty much anywhere I go. Content to stay in the truck, just don’t leave em at home… Have had labs and other dogs, these guys are just the sweetest.

I hunted with Springers and hunting Cockers as a boy in Michigan, great hunters and companions. Best luck with your retirement everyday hunting is a gift!

I’m very fortunate. about 8 years ago I considered going from a flusher to a pointer. made friends with a guy with a Brittany. He was struggling to find a bird his dog was pointing. Kicking brush and muttering to Himself. I was just about finished hunting and saw his dilemm. Asked if he could use a hand, that I’d be happy to send my springers in for him to make the flush. His dog was a staunch pointer and agreed to let us assist. Couple minutes and my dogs did their job. They didn’t encroach on his dog and his maintained the point. That morning we worked and flushed 3 birds together. He got his limit and I finished mine. We’ve been hunting together ever since. our friendship has wired to both our advantages. His dog works the wider area and lighter cover while my springers bust brush and typically maintain about 20 yards distance. My dogs are well trained to collar and when they get buddy I beep them to slow and control their hunting. Several beeps will entirely stop them and look to me for direction. Ya, they don’t flush like a springer is expected but they do what I trained them for.
if I could have a Brittanylike my partners I’d have one of each of his and mine. The right dogs working together can make an enjoyable and memorable experience.

Back