Restaurants

Wife and I are staying in Gettysburg and hunting north towards the Hoven area. Any good early morning breakfast spots and other restaurants for an evening meal anyone would recommend? An enjoyable part of all of our trips is breakfast at the local cafe and meeting folks. Thanks for any help.

Bob's SteakHouse is right by the bridge at Gettyburg. I haven't been there for years, but it was always excellent when I was a kid. Someone on here has been there recently and can comment. There is also a supper club at Whitlock Bay. Enjoy your visit and take home a limit. Another thought: I am not sure if Pike Haven Resort has dining for non-guests, or not, but they used to do family-style dining for their hunting guests and it was very good. Nice folks, give them a call.

Last edited:
If you find yourself in Pierre, (58 miles from gburg) make a point to go to the Cattlemens club.

If in Pierre - "Mad Mary's" is not to be missed! Get there early as they fill fast, esp. on weekends.

A guy in our group took us 1 hour out of our way to go to Cattlemans. We were not happy until we eat the steak. It was so worth the extra driving

Wife and I are staying in Gettysburg and hunting north towards the Hoven area. Any good early morning breakfast spots and other restaurants for an evening meal anyone would recommend? An enjoyable part of all of our trips is breakfast at the local cafe and meeting folks. Thanks for any help.

1) Medicine Rock has breakfast, lunch & dinner
2) Lucy's has dinner, but I'm not sure about the rest. They're closed, I think on Mondays too.
That's it other than driving out to Bob's for dinner.
I'll be there starting next Saturday, when will you be there?

If you find yourself in Pierre, (58 miles from gburg) make a point to go to the Cattlemens club.

Drove by there after our hunt on Monday and the parking lot was completely packed, place must be pretty good. We ended up at the Silver Spur.

I have done both the Cattleman's and Mad Mary's over the years. Mad Mary's is more my speed and the steak is just as good, or the walleye. The fried potatoes in the foil are awesome and about 6 kinds of pie. Story is she was the owner of the cattleman's wife and got pissed off and started her own steakhouse.

Food

South Whitlock and Orient Bar and Grill.
Just got back from 10 day hunt there. Breakfast is tough.
Hunted alone for the most part and limited out easily.
Hit the ditches along harvested sun flowers and you will go through some shells.
Im back out for two weeks in Nov. Good luck!

Wife and I packing the truck tonight heading that way tomorrow morning. We have had a tough few months working and just look forward to walking, talking, and sharing our thoughts on some beautiful landscape. Folks on this forum have helped us the past couple of years pointing us towards places to hunt and sharing good restaurant spots and also making some great friends. Like many have stated on here I am at a point in life it is just about making memories. Last year we hunted a week and harvested few birds but had a great time meeting local folks over a cup of coffee and just talking about life in general. The wife has a new gun this year and next year we are adding a drahthaar to the mix. I want to also thank our veterans tonight for all you have sacrificed for my family and I. There were times over the past couple of weeks I had almost lost faith in mankind during the recent election but we still live in the greatest country on earth. Thanks again to everyone and if you see a couple in the restaurant with an Arkansas accent come over and introduce yourself.

Wife and I packing the truck tonight heading that way tomorrow morning. We have had a tough few months working and just look forward to walking, talking, and sharing our thoughts on some beautiful landscape. Folks on this forum have helped us the past couple of years pointing us towards places to hunt and sharing good restaurant spots and also making some great friends. Like many have stated on here I am at a point in life it is just about making memories. Last year we hunted a week and harvested few birds but had a great time meeting local folks over a cup of coffee and just talking about life in general. The wife has a new gun this year and next year we are adding a drahthaar to the mix. I want to also thank our veterans tonight for all you have sacrificed for my family and I. There were times over the past couple of weeks I had almost lost faith in mankind during the recent election but we still live in the greatest country on earth. Thanks again to everyone and if you see a couple in the restaurant with an Arkansas accent come over and introduce yourself.

When I worked a corporate job, dealing with folks from all the over the World, the only people even close to as nice as Southerners were the Japanese. I hope you have a good time in South Dakota.

Draht

Enjoy that Draht and put your time in with it. You will enjoy the heck out of that dog in the field. A truly amazing versatile dog.

I will be in the Gettysburg area as well from 11/18 to the 20th

Last edited:
Heading south towards Arkansas tomorrow to beat the incoming bad weather. It has been a great trip even though we are having to cut it short. Hunted public ground every day and found plenty of birds. You have to work to locate them but that should be half the fun. Folks on this forum have given me good advice. As someone has stated before, each trip is a building block and you learn something new each time out. Wife and I have worked hard at it the past two years and this year it came together even with the lower counts. Birds are here on public ground and if you put the time and some thought into it you will find them. I look forward to driving the next 1,000 miles to get back up here. Made new friends in the local cafe and can't wait to get back next year. Time to get ready for mallards in the Arkansas flooded timber now.

We tried Lucy's downtown Gettysburg, Bob's Resort, Green Turtle (Miller), and the bakery also in Gettysburg. All are fair except the Green Turtle. I have eaten steak all over the Unites States and I would put the Green Turtle's ribeye against any of them. Fellow hunter recommended it last year and we drove from Gettysburg to Miller just to get one. They have cold beer on tap and lots of friendly locals to talk with. If you are in that area don't miss the opportunity.

Back