Rescue lab.

padave

I just got a black lab from a local lab rescue. He's about 15-18 months old. At first he was just gonna be a pet/companion for my 3 year old upland hunting lab. I just got him on Xmas eve. And since I've only had him a few days I noticed he has a strong prey drive i.e. Wants to eat my cats and seems very interested in song birds in the back yard. I took him to his first vet visit last night he only has a small case of some ring worms ( I'm sure the Meds will clear up in a few days ) to my surprise the vet told me he has all the makings of a top quality field trials/hunting lab from the looks of him, And had a second opinion from a lady that breeds hunting labs and her thoughts were the same as his.

So the big questions here is where,when and how would I start to train him for hunting. Right now I'm just working on basic obedience for the house, he's had no prior training and spent his first 8-10 months in a kennel and just let out to do his business ( he is house broken) he has small scars under his eyes from constantly trying to push out of the kennel I was told. He's a bit on the wild side but no too terrible. He's got a FAR better life now even if he doesn't hunt, I would hate to waste his talent if he is field breed, but it's also ok if it's too late to train. Let me know what you all think.

Dave.

I don't have first hand experience but would think once you get some basic obedience just put him on a planted bird and see what he does and I think you will have your answer as to what direction to take. Gunfire would be the other big hurdle potentially to cross but as you spend time with him and see his reaction to things you will have some idea if that is gonna be an issue or not.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Maybe start him out just like you would a puppy. Exposure to all things and don't rush the introduction of birds and gunfire. Good luck with him and let us know how it goes. Where are the pictures?

Maybe start him out just like you would a puppy. Exposure to all things and don't rush the introduction of birds and gunfire. Good luck with him and let us know how it goes. Where are the pictures?

The pics may come later. I'm too lazy to go through the the processes to post pics here. I posted them on the Ultimate pheasant hunting Facebook page.

First and foremost that's a real fine thing you've done for that pup! :cheers:

You have a couple of good things going for you.
The Lab is a very intelligent breed capable of learning many things that another breed might struggle with, just look at all the multiple tasks they are asked to do.

Physically there is a good foundation to work with including one of the better noses.

It's not small change that he shows interest in the backyard birds, having all the intelligence and physical ability in the world would not work if he had no desire "hunt".

It sounds like his previous life leaves a lot to be desired. With that being said and I can't stress this enough, just spend some time bonding with him...you might just end up with a very special companion!

Work on the obedience training KEEPING IT FUN for both of you! Then SLOWLY start to ask more of him once he understands and trust you.

Introduce him to gunfire just as you would a very young pup, TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED HERE!
Once you have him under control and only then introduce him to birds, birds and more birds! While on lead let him observe and learn from your other pup, he'll get the message real quick!
Good luck and keep us up to date! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
padave I have to agree! The main theme here is slow goes it, let the dog tell you when he is ready for the next step. Let him know it's ok to be a hound and when he realizes it's ok, he will surprise you.

Back