Report on my SD Trip

Brimar1991

Hunted 4 days (M-Th) around the Huron area. All public areas and no road hunting. Solo hunter with 2 dogs. I averaged 2 birds a day and saw roughly 10 to 12 birds per day. Missed only 2 roosters for the week. Split of 50/50 roosters vs hens. Hunted 12 different spots and only encountered hunters at 3 of those locations. Did not see the hunters at the hotel or restaurants.

Good week except for the skunk encounters reported earlier. I saw about the same number of birds as previous years. Only difference was I encountered a couple really small roosters that I could not tell if they were roosters or hens. One day, I saw a group of 4 roosters along gravel road getting grit. When they turned and ran away, they were very thin. Had to hunt the heavy areas to find the birds.

Summary: good year, good weather, beautiful country, and very friendly people. Cannot wait until next year. Praying for a mild winter, good spring conditions and more public land to be enrolled for us solo hunters. Have a safe pheasant season.

Last edited:
Back