Reloaders Question & Gun Question

Mo_GSP

Which reloader is best for a beginner?

What's the advantage of a 28" barrel or a 26" barrel. I hunt upland birds only. No waterfowl. Thanks for your opinions.

Which reloader is best for a beginner?

What's the advantage of a 28" barrel or a 26" barrel. I hunt upland birds only. No waterfowl. Thanks for your opinions.

If you're going to reload a case or two per year, you'll probably like this MEC.

http://www.mecreloaders.com/productline/600JrMark5.asp

Not very expensive, and you can reload 100+ shells per hour. They claim twice that, but I don't think so

However I would not bother reloading at all for a case or two. It's a hassle and a considerable investment in shot, powder, primers, wads and hulls. I used to reload to save money, but these days the cost of components has increased faster than ammo and there isn't a huge savings. My wife and I shoot maybe 5000-6000 per year, and throw them away now. I buy ahead when I can catch a good sale. Last month I was able to buy Super-X field loads on sale @$3.99/box, so bought a year's worth. I can't reload for that.

Some folks claim they can reload better than factory. Rifle ammo...maybe. Shotshells...no. Factory shotshells are great.

Barrel length is whatever sits YOU best. Some like short barrels because they swing a bit more quickly, and others think longer barrels handle more smoothly.

You can kill birds just fine with anything from 21" to 34".

If you're somewhere near average size, you'll probably like 26" or 28" on an auto or pump, and 28" or 30" on a double gun.

Try as many guns as you can. Some will feel like fence posts, and some will feel like they were made for you. When you find the gun that fits like a glove and shoots where you look without thinking, buy it.

Mo, What J has said is real good an factual. I use a Single Stage, Posness Warren. I really like loading my shell inside the resizing die. If you can find a used one that fits your needs, I advise get it. As for the gun barrels, I use nothing but 28 inch. I have a trouble keeping my swing going with a 26 inch. With a 28 inch I can swing and get a good follow through. No stopping. It may be all in my head, but that is why I shoot all 28 inch......Bob

However I would not bother reloading at all for a case or two.

Some folks claim they can reload better than factory. Rifle ammo...maybe. Shotshells...no. Factory shotshells are great.

What jnormanh said. Unless you are going to shoot a lot of clays you just cant' justify reloading. I use to reload and never found a reload that patterned as well as the factory loads. I too believe that factory loads are great. And you have a lot to pick from.

Back