Reducing The Limit for Pheasants

Campbell76

Would reducing the limit on pheasants to 3 help any or is it all habitat. This might be a stupid question. If I remember right it has been 3 before but it's been a very long time.

In many parts of the state these last couple years the limit could be twelve or one, it would make little difference.

I remember when the limit was five and one could be a hen.

Three or four roosters seems reasonable to me.

I vaguely remember reading an article about Minnesota(?) dropping the limit on roosters in part of their state and seeing the total numbers of pheasant in that area drop over those years. Maybe someone else remembers that article/study better, or can find the report online.

I remember the article being very interesting, although not interesting enough to remember the details.:(

Speaking of limits and seasons. I would not mind the quail limit temporary going down from eight to six. I also would like to see the quail season in western Kansas start a week after the pheasant opener like it used to. Another thing I would like is an early daily closing on quail, something like 3PM.

Speaking of limits and seasons. I would not mind the quail limit temporary going down from eight to six. I also would like to see the quail season in western Kansas start a week after the pheasant opener like it used to. Another thing I would like is an early daily closing on quail, something like 3PM.

I think your right on track with your thinking. It would be nice if they had a 3 PM daily closer on quail. Both hunting them and just working dogs on them. It's important during the cold nights that they maintain a covey for warmth. I think I have read a minimum of 6 birds for the covey to survive in really cold weather. Prairiedrifter would know for sure though. I actually wouldn't mind a 4 bird limit on quail. I know that seems like not many, and it's not but, I do believe that a lot of bird dog guys get just as big a kick out of watching a pointing dog work than the actual shooting of the quail. I know I do. I had chances for limits of quail last year on several occasions and chose not to and ended almost all my hunts no later than 3 PM.

I think that is on the right track with birds like quail where you can shoot either males or females. The reason that populations can go down when not enough roosters are harvested is that during winter roosters will out compete hens for food and precious habitat. It only takes one male to reproduce with several females and they will travel in the spring to get the job done...reducing quail harvest may make a difference just for the simple fact that more females may be alive if the spring/summer cooperates habitat and weather wise. That was my nerd input as a Biology teacher for what it is worth.

2003 started as an okay year. Then it became the best year since the early 90s. A public area closed for three years for renovation into a duck area opened after duck season. The Conservation dept ran out of closed until after duck season ends signs. My brother noticed a corner with closed until december 15 signs. I was the first to hunt and it was amazing. There was a milo strip 100 yards from my truck. As I was on my way, I saw a flock of roosters numbering 30 to 40 birds land in the milo just like ducks. I never saw such a sight and ignored two large coveys of quail on the remaining way to the milo.

That week I shot 50 quail (only had one day to myself). There was an army of hunters there every day. A buddy shot his limit of two roosters every day for sixteen days.

The following year was not memorable.

I would prefer some areas be closed to upland hunting. I would hunt without a gun.

Pick two public areas close to each other. Close one to quail hunting. Close the other to pheasant hunting. Your dogs would come home happy.

Regarding quail......theyre an annual crop. There aren't even enough bird hunters to make a huge impact anymore. Sure, a covey could get shot up here and there but making a limit very low (like 4) would not necessarily help increase the population. When you're a bobwhite, you're going to die anyway. Look at bobwhite mortality. A piece of #8 lead is the least of their concerns.

Last edited:
I've heard that before too. But, I just can't help but think carrying over more birds into the spring nesting season would not help the situation. I mean if you have 3 hens as opposed to one hen in a rearing pen wouldn't your chances of ending up with more babies be increased? I know that some will die anyway, but, the one that you just shot may have been one of two that will make it to nesting season and raise a bunch of babies.

If bag limits didn't matter then we might as well not have a bag limit on them.

I would have no problem with a three pheasant limit for KS. SD and ND have waaay more pheasants than we do, and pheasant hunting is big biz up there, yet they stick with their three bird limit. But I have no idea whether a three bird limit would help the population grow.

Last edited:

I've been told to quit hunting quail about that time so they can covey before nightfall.

I understand your point but fail to see how hunters have much of an impact across the bobwhite's range. There are only a fraction of the bird hunters today that there was 40 years ago. There is also a fraction of the birds.

I think that is on the right track with birds like quail where you can shoot either males or females. The reason that populations can go down when not enough roosters are harvested is that during winter roosters will out compete hens for food and precious habitat. It only takes one male to reproduce with several females and they will travel in the spring to get the job done...reducing quail harvest may make a difference just for the simple fact that more females may be alive if the spring/summer cooperates habitat and weather wise. That was my nerd input as a Biology teacher for what it is worth.

I think it would have more of an effect because you wouldn't have one person taking 8 birds out of a covey.

I've heard that before too. But, I just can't help but think carrying over more birds into the spring nesting season would not help the situation. I mean if you have 3 hens as opposed to one hen in a rearing pen wouldn't your chances of ending up with more babies be increased? I know that some will die anyway, but, the one that you just shot may have been one of two that will make it to nesting season and raise a bunch of babies.

If bag limits didn't matter then we might as well not have a bag limit on them.

We should just open a season on Red-Tailed Hawks. Last season, I was hunting some stuff where I grew up and in 1/2 mile of driving on a gravel road there were 7 red tailed hawks. 8 if you count the one that hit the barbed wire fence and got hung up a day or two before.

We have often discussed the pros and cons of reducing bag limits and totally closing the season all together.
We have come to the conclusion, that until habitat improves, it won't matter much on bag limits,ect.
Hopefully, the drought is over, and that their will be enough seed stock for a rebound hatch next spring. Personally my family has decided to pass on upland hunting again this season,as we have the last two seasons.
This is a tough thing for me to do,my GSP is getting older,as i am, My youngest son has only gone three times in his life(out west). I know that it doesn't matter in the big picture what we do, but it makes us feel better, as if we are trying to do our part.
Most on here don;t know me, but I can assure you that I was a hard core upland bird hunter/lover.
I am very hopeful about next season, but also scared. If they don't rebound next spring, I'm afraid they never will.
I'm not writing this to make anyone mad or upset. Just my 2 cents.
:cheers:

Back