Redhead classic II turkey vest

Labradinger

Gearing up for turkey season and I wanted something to carry a bird in because im sick of dragging them or having my butt full of blood when I get back to the truck. Looking at this vest because it’s seems simple and inexpensive.
Ive also been kickin around the idea of getting a similar style vest for pheasant hunting when it’s warm. The designs look very similar, other than lacking blaze orange. Luckily, God created velcro and I would just put a few pieces or orange on during pheasant season. Anything Im overlooking that would cause me to be unhappy with the vest pheasant hunting while killing two birds with one stone??

I wanted something to carry a bird in because im sick of dragging them or having my butt full of blood when I get back to the truck
Unless I am missing something, you aren't going to be carrying a wild turkey in that thing.

I completely understand where you're coming from though. They are kind of a bit** to carry once you shoot one and I've experienced the same issue with blood dripping from their head as you carry them by the legs. Don't think that a vest is the answer on that one.

I bought the cabelas tactical tat'r 2 turkey vest. I have no complaints and think it's the only one I'll ever need.
Unless I am missing something, you aren't going to be carrying a wild turkey in that thing.
I haven't seen the vest in question, but I know on mine you could fit a turkey in the game pouch. It has a couple buttons that pop off and expands really large. That being said, the three turkeys I've gotten, all were relatively close to the truck so I just carried them out and didn't bother to use the game bag. Mine also has a large orange square that you can button on the back. I have not used this, but if I ever shot a public land tom and had a long walk back to the truck it would come in handy.

It won't prevent blood on your pants (which really is like paying the turkey hunting gods back) but I bought this turkey sling awhile ago to help me carry my birds out of the field as it can be a pain in the ass to deal with my decoy bag, gun/bow and a turkey.

I will say however, the thing is cursed for me and I've never once used it to carry a bird and it now stays home. I shot quite a few turkeys over the years prior to buying that sling, then went into a slump for about 3 years when that had a place in my vest. Being somewhat superstitious, I ditched it one year, shot a bird, and have been having success the last few years. Do with that what you will.

It appears to be discontinued but I'm sure there's similar products available or a homemade version could be rigged up.

I completely understand where you're coming from though. They are kind of a bit** to carry once you shoot one and I've experienced the same issue with blood dripping from their head as you carry them by the legs. Don't think that a vest is the answer on that one.
I really don’t think there is a vest capable of carrying a turkey. Especially mine they’re all 30 lbs

I have used my Final Rise vest to carry turkey's in the game bag a few times. Worked quite well.
How do you keep the vest from pulling down in the back and chocking you? will tight chest and stomach straps hold it up? I'm not doubting you, just curios. I can see it, if you could get the weight higher like a back pac.

How do you keep the vest from pulling down in the back and chocking you? will tight chest and stomach straps hold it up? I'm not doubting you, just curios. I can see it, if you could get the weight higher like a back pac.
All the weight is distributed on on your hips. There is very little pressure on your shoulder straps. I put the vest on the ground to load the turkey up, put the vest on and then pull my shoulders up to tighten the waist belt.

Here is a video showing the owner putting on the vest with a turkey in it.

Munster927 I love the reply! It won't prevent blood on your pants (which really is like paying the turkey hunting gods back)

Back