Red Label

Phil V.

Was on Ruger's website and seen they are bringing the Red Label shotgun back. They did not have a price on it that I could see yet. Thought I'd pass it on.

My dad has one, I always liked it. I remember it feeling lighter than 7.5lbs I've always thought about getting one of the sythetics for waterfowl, though I probably would still use my benelli vinci

I considered buying one in 20ga. yrs. ago. I never liked the safety/barrel selector on them, the way it pivoted. Seemed kind of cheesey/cheap to me and possibly prone to breaking/malfunctioning. That kept me from buying one. They also seemed a little heavy.

I've got one in 12 gauge and I love it. Never a spec of trouble. Mine is engraved with pheasants...pretty gun.

I like 2 of them that I have & love the third, a sweet .28. Glad to see that they are back.

I've been shooting one in twelve gauge for the past ten years and it's never let me down. Wood is not as pretty as some others, and it's no lightweight, but for some reason I'm more accurate with it than with my other shotguns, and it's been completely reliable. I'd like to add a twenty to my gun safe.....

I have had a 12 for over 20 years and we will be going to SD next week. It is a bit heavy, but so am I.

I have the Gold Label and it is my "go to" gun. Mine weighs 6 pounds 5 ounces with 28 inch barrels. The wood is nothing to write home about but I enjoy carrying it and I shoot it well. It is not the most pleasant gun to take to the sporting clays course. Glad to hear the Red Label is back.

I only saw a 12b listed.. Different from the last time around when they only offered a 20b!!! At 7.5 they do seem heavy, especially for a field gun but maybe that is not the market they are trying to capture.

AM

Have had my red label for 30 years. Love the gun. Have shot doves, quail chukar, pheasant, and waterfowl with it. Never a problem. In the earlier days I broke the butt on the grip one time. Sent it back, had it back within 3 weeks, no Charge. Would be nice to have a 20 ga model. Seen a show on the remaking of the ruger red label the other night on a gun show. A couple of differences from the old type model. The receiver is now made of one solid piece instead of two halves welded together plus the barrel does not have a spacer bar between the two barrels, it is just open. Other than that its the same gun as it was when first manufactured.

How would you guys order it to be the perfect pheasant gun, barrel lenth , gauge etc. ?

Can they bring back the gold label:eek: I need one but can't aford the price they are going for. Maybe next?:thumbsup:

Can they bring back the gold label:eek: I need one but can't aford the price they are going for. Maybe next?:thumbsup:

Based on what I have read, I don't think Ruger could afford to bring the Gold Label back. They lost a ton of money on that gun. IF I remember correctly they had major issues with the light weight barrels. I bought mine for $1700 and the last one I saw NIB at Cabella's had a $3200 price tag on it. I liked the story behind the gun and thought it was a good concept and I have not been disappointed. I would love to have second one but probably could not afford the gun and the divorce that would come with it.

I bought my 20ga RL around 1984-5 choked Skt/Skt. 28"

Can't say it's seen heavy use, but it's been used a lot. Never had a problem with it. It is a bit on the heavy side.

If I came across a 28ga I'd probably buy it.

Carl

Red Label O?U

Bought both a 12 and 20 in the sporting clays version new about 20 years ago. Always worked and shot well for me but I thought they were heavy, especially the 12. Mine have five chokes each and I understand they are only making the 12 for now.
I will probably sell mine and get something lighter now that I am back in the pheasant game with my new dog.

Back