Recommendations for Dog Nail Clipper

A long time ago, I tried the Dremel. I admit I didn't stick with it very long.

I had two problems.

First of all, the dogs seemed to hate the whine of the Dremel. They were always trying to pull away as soon as the noise began. Maybe I could have somehow acclimated them to that but..

...the second problem was that the trimming seemed to generate a lot of heat at the nail. They didn't seem to like that either. That was probably my fault as back then there wasn't much guidance on it. I see now they say just a quick touch on each nail as you rotate around the particular foot until you get them all where you want them. That would avoid the heat issue I had.

I still have a Dremel type rotary. i could give that a try.

But truly, all four of my Labs will lay still and let me clip nails. They get treats afterwards. It's kind of funny; I put a blanket down and call them onto the blanket one at a time to lay down. Recently they have started trying beat each other into position before I even call one. I guess they are really into the treating.

My two old hand clippers are just worn out and I don't see that brand on Amazon now. That's why I asked.

Thanks for reminding me of the Dremel. I might give that a try now that I'm better informed on how to do it.

I use the dremel as well. Just start off slow to get the dogs used to it and you shouldn't have an issue.

Thanks for all the suggestions gentlemen!

I have prepped the rotary tool and also purchased a Safari clipper in large size.

Dukxdog your recommendation seconded an opinion from another of my friends that owns labs. Price was right on Amazon too.

I'm going to give both methods a try.

Back