Recommend a ND outfitter?

Hobie1026

Hi,

I'm looking to give myself a present for a milestone birthday this year. I'd like to find an outfitter that would let me hunt wild birds. There's so many in the directory I'm not sure where to start. Here's what I'm looking for specifically:

I'm looking for a 1 to 2 day hunt with my own dog.
Wild birds - not a stocked preserve
Wish to hunt alone, not in a group
Lodging provided - meals optional
Good population of wild birds

Does anyone have an outfitter they would recommend that would work with such a request? The issue seems to be that I prefer to hunt alone and not part of a group. I just want to be turned loose for a day or 2 with my dog in some land that has been well-managed and holds birds.

Any recommendations of outfitters or leases that have openings in October of 2013 would be most welcome. PMs are fine. Thanks!

Hobie

Hmmm - driving from CO. to ND via SD. Am wondering why you aren't considering both states?

Last two weeks in October: it will be very difficult to hunt alone on private land that has a good bird population. Have you considered public or road hunting?

Good Luck with this search...

You want a day or two just you and the dog.
Left alone to hunt the way you like.
You can pay at least a couple hundred bucks to go with an outfitter per day and a lot more. You probably wont get to do what you like, you'll hunt the way the host and other clients hunt.
Still, Your allowed only 3 roosters per day.
Get yourself a motel reservation at Dickinson, Mott, Hettinger for mid week at the end of Oct first part of Nov.
Get the State WMA maps.
If Your dog is decent and you can shoot half good and want to work at it.
I WILL guarantee you a chance at a limit of roosters, on your own.

OR pm me. I'll give you the name of a outfitter where you will get a limit.:cheers:

You can pay at least a couple hundred bucks to go with an outfitter per day and a lot more. You probably wont get to do what you like, you'll hunt the way the host and other clients hunt.
Get yourself a motel reservation at Dickinson, Mott, Hettinger for mid week at the end of Oct first part of Nov.
Get the State WMA maps.

most outfitters won't fool with one guy......they want at least 6-12 hunters so their time is worth while...it's a big money deal here...the above post is your best bet.

MNMHUNTER has a good suggestion regards Walk in areas et al.

I quit pounding on doors seeking permission to hunt years ago - especially in the early part of the season.

There are outfitters on this site, but most require large groups, however, you may find one that has a cancellation. Large groups usually hunt together...

If you google ND Pheasant Hunting you will find lots of resources with telephone numbers to contact. Calling several may yield what you are seeking.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
most outfitters won't fool with one guy......they want at least 6-12 hunters so their time is worth while...it's a big money deal here...the above post is your best bet.

I would have to agree. No outfitter is going to tie up his property for a lone hunter that early in the season.

ME!!! I live in garrison ND and would love to take guys out. I cant consider myself an outfitter cause its illeagal on public land but if we go as friends that would work. let me know

Appreciate the offer very much GSP but Garrison is way east of where I'll be hunting. It's going to be an interesting year. New, inexperienced puppy, new spots. I think outfitter was the wrong term. I didn't want to look at any of the big pheasant hunting operations.

I appreciate the PMs. I got a few good leads and if those don't pan out I'll just do the usual public land.

if you hunt in the west good luck finding hotels and be ready to pay. and with all the people over in the west part of the state means more hunters on the ground. just wanted to give you a heads up. that's all I hunt mostly is public land and I always do decent. The offer still stands. I'm not looking to get paid or anything just meet some new people and make new friends:cheers:

Bird hunting looks to be pretty good for ND this Fall.
I visited with a guy that knows pheasants and knows whats going on. Unusual but the West is sitting better as far as timely rains and cover, the cover is in excellent condition in much of the West. Some areas had heavy rains during nesting and those areas the hens re nested and the chicks are young. So, it may be spotty.
It seems that if Your in the right areas pheasants will be plentiful. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update. Going to be more fun for me to see a young dog get on his first wild pheasants than worrying about whether I collect a limit or not. Maybe I'll get lucky and finally bag a hun this year. :D

finely some good news coming from someplace in pheasant country this season!!! im almost happy to hear about the late corn i think i will head out west to ND later in the season once the corn is harvested & the young birds get some color on them??? i think ill wonder around MN pheasant country 4-5 days after opener & see whats around???

thanks again for the report on ND wayne & also for the MT pic happy to hear somebody got into a sharptail so far this season lol i got my ass handed to me up in MN sharptail country this past wk-end & after having car troubles & walking about 10-12 miles & not putting up any prairie grouse in 2.5 days we came home early & will maybe head up to the ruffed grouse woods? my brother got 4-5 ruffed & 1 spruce grouse this past wk-end so i got the fever to hunt forest grouse!!!

Get the State WMA maps.

What he said. I hunted PLOTS last year second week of November on Friday and only found one other party of 2 guys that did not have the endurance to get off the roads to hunt. Not much pressure in Mid November.

Back