Rattlesnake protection- real experience please

dustin mudd

Hi I’m in southern New Mexico and the owner of the air bnb a week ago , had seen around a Mojave green and a pissed off western diamond back out! Heck it’s January! I have in several years never seen any snake out , as I hunt in the mornings and avoid warm sunny afternoons. That got me to thinking would cordura or ballastic cloth upland pants , keep you protected from snake bite? I don’t get pricked by catclaw or most cactus?

Dogs are snakebroke! Real world input sought! Thanks

I wear snake gaiters almost daily here at the Ponderosa because of the high numbers of rattlesnakes and my inability to hear them. I have never had a test. They do work well for keeping other sticky things like cactus at bay.

I've hunted in Mojave green habitat. I trust nothing, not even solid steel gaiters when hunting in Mojave green country. By a huge margin, they're the most deadly snake in North America. A hunter has an hour, at most, to get to hospital. and that's not assured survival.

MG's do not always rattle. If fact, I can't remember one rattling. They're very aggressive.

Never hunt with a dog in MG habitat.

Vigilance is required when hunting in MG. I've seen them hiding in rocks and sunning themselves in open areas.

Kill everyone you see. They serve no ecological purpose.

Do not harm raptors, especially eagles. They're natural predators of the MG. They'll swoop them off the ground to about a mile high and drop them on asphalt, and then dine on their carcasses.

I had to make a dog care run to see a vet today. I asked when he started seeing snake bites in south New Mexico. He said it’s All temperature related. He had a snake bite on Christmas Day some years back on a dog.
To further discuss green Mojave rattlesnake. He told of 2 dogs bitten by the same green Mojave , they neither swelled , and were both dead before they got to his office from less than an hour away!

Back