Rate of twist

BleuBijou

Should I use heavier bullets for faster rates of twist????

.224 69gr over a 55 gr. 1in 7 twist

With that twist I would say 69gr.

I know the 6mm Remington's first came with a 1-9 twist. They were made to shoot the lighter bullets. They later changed that to 1-10 like the 243 Winchester. They then shot both the light and heavier bullets.

Last edited:
I had to fix my post too, I had it messed up. The 1-9 shot light bullets better. The 1-10 made the 100 grain bullets shoot better but it would shoot a wider variety of bullets better.

In a 223 a 1 in 7. Should shoot either fine. A slower twist will get you more velocity but might not be able to stabilize the longer bullets. A 69 gr in a 1 in 12 might have the bullets hitting the target side ways.

I just got my new AR reciever for my varmint build. I ordered a upper half with a 1 and 9. I got 500 rounds of 55gr nosler balistic tip. Hope they work well LOL. Seems to be a sweet load for anything 1 n 7, to 1 n 9 for everyone. Can't wait to fire her up.

I want to say that in a .223, 1:12 used to be the standard twist because most people were shooting 50 or 55 grain bullets at the time. Now a lot are using the heavier bullets and you're seeing a lot more 1:9 and 1:7 twists. The heavier bullets shoot better in the faster twists. I've done a lot of reading in the AR forums, and many claim the 55's do just fine in the 1:7 twist barrels. I need to order an upper but am torn on what twist to get. I don't really see myself shooting heavy bullets in it, so leaning to 1:12. If I want a heavier bullet I'll go up in cartridge. But what if.......

I just got my new AR reciever for my varmint build. I ordered a upper half with a 1 and 9. I got 500 rounds of 55gr nosler balistic tip. Hope they work well LOL. Seems to be a sweet load for anything 1 n 7, to 1 n 9 for everyone. Can't wait to fire her up.

Those shoot sweet in my 22-250!! I can shoot a quarter every time at 100 yds! Let me know how they work for you! Where are you finding Bullets anyway!!! Especially 500??? LOL!! Actually I want to know!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back