Rapid City area question?

Ranger Rick

One of my brothers has a daughter who recently moved to Rapid City to take a job. He wants to go visit, along with his son and a young Brittany. He would like to make it a combination visit and pheasant hunt.

I've had some really good trips just west of the Missouri, but have never been that far west and so am in not position to advise him. Is there any pheasant hunting potential out there? And if not right near, how far does one have to drive to find good hunting possibilities?

Your looking at a minimum drive of an hour from Rapid to find birds. And those areas are not very productive and are heavily pressured. Two hours will get you into a few more birds. Honestly, if he has the time, hist best bet is driving 2.5-3 hours east of Rapid to prime pheasant country.

I agree with the previous post...one must go east for good pheasant hunting.

The 2015 road survey included five counties of the far west. The count was 2.4 birds per mile, up from 1.5 in 2014, but very low. And of the five counties, what county has birds?

Good question!

Your looking at a minimum drive of an hour from Rapid to find birds. And those areas are not very productive and are heavily pressured. Two hours will get you into a few more birds. Honestly, if he has the time, hist best bet is driving 2.5-3 hours east of Rapid to prime pheasant country.

That's kind of what I figured, too. I told him to get a hotel somewhere west of Chamberlain, get a hotel and have her join them there for the weekend. Lots of public access areas west of the river.

I was out and did the same thing. Stayed with a family member in rapid city. We drove and hour to hunt. Some pheasants, lots of grouse. Hard on dog that early in the season we had small cactus in the feild and it was hard on the dogs feet. But we killed birds every day we hunted. Some fields not productive and some good. If you just want to hunt birds it's not all that bad. We saw lots of mule deer antalopes and whitetails driving back and forth. It was a nice trip just not prime area for pheasants.

Back