Rain Rain and Rain

SDJIM

I read my rain gage every morning at 8 AM: Friday .08. Sat .05.Sunday 1.25 Monday .86 and at 1pm this afternoon it's .54 and still raining. There is lots of water standing the fields and creeks are running strong. :cheers:

We haven't gotten much up here in the Watertown area. Sounds like almost too much in your area. Good thing is that the hens shouldn't be nesting yet or it could be bad for the hatch.

I read my rain gage every morning at 8 AM: Friday .08. Sat .05.Sunday 1.25 Monday .86 and at 1pm this afternoon it's .54 and still raining. There is lots of water standing the fields and creeks are running strong. :cheers:

Jim,

How far east is the rain running? Hopefully it let's up soon. Was figuring all the stars were aligned for a great year. Don't need the rain to ruin it.....

Jim,

How far east is the rain running? Hopefully it let's up soon. Was figuring all the stars were aligned for a great year. Don't need the rain to ruin it.....

Over the same time period: 4.2 miles ESE of Delmont 1.85" 4.6 miles W of Armour 1.82" and 6.6 miles S of Parkston .94"

All distances and directions are from the US Post office in that town.

Looks like the rain is out of this local area and I'm going to end up with right at 3.05" total. Note that most rain gages on this system(Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network ) (www.cocorahs.org)are read very day a 7 or 8 AM so totals will go up by how much rain fell today after they were read this AM.

'

Last edited:
We had a beautiful gentle April shower that added up to about 2 inches over three days. Just what we needed in Edmunds county.

In the far SE there has been plenty of rain but it seems like we needed it as the creeks aren't running that high. So far things look great for this early. I've been hearing roosters while I'm in town, something I haven't been able to do for a few years. It could be an early hatch with plenty of time for renesting for those hens that aren't successful the first time.
I'd always rather deal with too much rain then dry conditions if it comes to that. 2011-2012 really slammed the populations of a lot of critters around here.

Tim

Sounds darn good so far!! Hope the remaining months of nesting season go as well!!:cheers:

Well I think the rain is over for awhile or at least I hope so. We have had 5.37 inches since the 15th of the month and there is water standing in fields everywhere you look ---no planting for a long time and I have two large habitat projects on HOLD--still its better than no rain.:D

Jim,

Do you think nesting has begun yet? if not, all of the moisture should be good for (cover, insects, etc.,). Due to standing water (low areas) the hens will have to nest on higher ground which should protect them if we get additional rain.

Well I think the rain is over for awhile or at least I hope so. We have had 5.37 inches since the 15th of the month and there is water standing in fields everywhere you look ---no planting for a long time and I have two large habitat projects on HOLD--still its better than no rain.:D

Jim,

At lease it was spread out over 10+ days. Northern WI just received 5" in roughly 2 1/2 days. We needed rain badly but it could of been a little more spread out.

How's the girl doing? She hunting birds at the window?

I keep looking out and thinking of all the great cover this is going to grow. It is still very early, some hens are probably laying eggs judging by how long the roosters have been crowing but it isn't something I'd worry too much about. If we get one of these wet stretches in 3 or 4 weeks I'll start to be concerned.

In early June 2014 we had a major flood here in the SE corner of the state. Something like 15 inches in less then 2 days. It was hard on the nesting but the hens renested and we had a lot of very young birds when the season started. I see what we are having now as great spring rains, not a problem.

Tim

Jim,

Rained hard over in that area last night 2-3 inches

Jim,

At lease it was spread out over 10+ days. Northern WI just received 5" in roughly 2 1/2 days. We needed rain badly but it could of been a little more spread out.

How's the girl doing? She hunting birds at the window?

At windows and really enjoys the daily car trip to the post office as there a lots of birds to get worked up about.

First thing she does when you let her out is to go 5 feet and stop--freeze up and look for birds in the yard and if she sees one she goes on point--her favorites are Robins --cant wait for the mud to go away so I can get back to a decent training schedule. :cheers:

Jim,

Do you think nesting has begun yet? if not, all of the moisture should be good for (cover, insects, etc.,). Due to standing water (low areas) the hens will have to nest on higher ground which should protect them if we get additional rain.

I have not seen a pheasant nest yet. I have found duck nests, ducks are usually a little earlier than pheasants.

I just saw a drake mallard fighting with a rooster pheasant over territory.....

I just saw a drake mallard fighting with a rooster pheasant over territory.....

Does that mean DU and PF don't get along? That is a sight not many get to witness!!:thumbsup:

Sure hope the hens are nesting on the high ground. We got heavy rain between 10 pm Sunday and 2 AM Monday--3.54 inches in my rain gage and the ditches are full of water with local creeks out of their banks and almost got to the local golf course as water intruded about 30 yards into the #1 fairway.

It's gonna stop planting for a while again and I think we are set up for a LATE harvest. I guess time will tell.

Back