Quail

I got out for a short afternoon hunt today.
Mistake one - always be ready when you get into the cover
As I was walking away from the truck I was trying to reset my flush counter, on my whistle lanyard and saw Bell getting a little birdy.
Mistake two always trust your dog, I was 20 yards from the truck. I thought there cant be anything here.
As I was fumbling and walking she locked up on point 6 feet in front of me. I was slightly surprised but there was at least 20 birds in the covey. I did pull myself together to connect on one. I am pretty sure I just scared it to death because there is no way I should have hit it in the state of confusion I was in.
I marked a few singles and decided I would come back to them. I hunted my way back to the singles and had two points on hen pheasants.
The singles landed in some brushy stuff, as soon as we walked in we got a solid point and bird two was in the bag, on her way to retrieve this one 3 more flushed in front of her.
This is the first covey I have shot into for a long time, hopefully they are on an upswing. I forgot how fun it is the hear the sound of a covey rise. :)

Very cool... We all have moments where we forget the dogs know far more than us! Even the pups... I've had a few to many of those already this year.

Good stuff !!! Fun birds to hunt !!!

What kinda of dog you hunt with ? Would love to see a picture of her !!!

Thanks for sharing your hunt .

Back