Quail hunt in Western Ok or Northern TX Sun/Mon?

KsHusker

This post may be a long shot but I had to back out of a trip to Texas last weekend and stay home with the family - too many weekends gone...ha

I am really wanting to get out one last time and this weekend will be my last chance as I have a work training trip the week of Feb 20th - whats screwing that up is I have to be in Columbia, MO Sunday evening the 19th and wont leave there until Friday sometime the 24th - I know after being gone all week the wife and 2.5 yr old son would not like me jetting off another weekend..ha

So on a long shot - anyone need an extra guy for their hunting party or know of a place in Western OK or far Northern TX (Im not opposed to pay to hunt but at a reasonable price - hopefully less than $150 a day or so.) for pay to hunt within 5 hrs drive or so of Wichita? I'll be solo with my Setter.

That being said if I dont line up a place - anyone hunt Black Kettle, Packsaddle or the Lake Vincent area this year? Would I be crazy to go by myself? If I were to see 6 or so coveys in a day I'd be happy and feel it was worth the drive. Weather as of a day ago looked to be better Sun/Mon which is when I could get away though the wind forecast for Sunday looks abysmal but nothing we dont get in KS routinely.

"That being said if I dont line up a place - anyone hunt Black Kettle, Packsaddle or the Lake Vincent area this year? Would I be crazy to go by myself? If I were to see 6 or so coveys in a day I'd be happy and feel it was worth the drive. Weather as of a day ago looked to be better Sun/Mon which is when I could get away though the wind forecast for Sunday looks abysmal but nothing we dont get in KS routinely."

Just got back from that area, BK and PS to be specific. Went myself and for the first time. First day I moved good numbers, like 8 or so coveys. The next couple days I got into an average of less than 5 I would say but, had a good time. I would say some of this is due to my inexperience with hunting quail in that sort of terrain and I've got some pretty young dogs. So, this probably does more to muddy the waters than anything but, that was my experience. Birds were running a bit, especially when the weather warmed but, pretty much all of them were in gun range. The birds just seemed spotty, some areas seemed to hold a few coveys, others none. Like I said, I may just not know what I'm doing. Good luck.

"That being said if I dont line up a place - anyone hunt Black Kettle, Packsaddle or the Lake Vincent area this year? Would I be crazy to go by myself? If I were to see 6 or so coveys in a day I'd be happy and feel it was worth the drive. Weather as of a day ago looked to be better Sun/Mon which is when I could get away though the wind forecast for Sunday looks abysmal but nothing we dont get in KS routinely."

Just got back from that area, BK and PS to be specific. Went myself and for the first time. First day I moved good numbers, like 8 or so coveys. The next couple days I got into an average of less than 5 I would say but, had a good time. I would say some of this is due to my inexperience with hunting quail in that sort of terrain and I've got some pretty young dogs. So, this probably does more to muddy the waters than anything but, that was my experience. Birds were running a bit, especially when the weather warmed but, pretty much all of them were in gun range. The birds just seemed spotty, some areas seemed to hold a few coveys, others none. Like I said, I may just not know what I'm doing. Good luck.

Thanks for the info - bought my license today - I lined up a place near Altus OK - guy says his avg is around 20 covey a day with his highest when conditions were perfect of somewhere between 45-50 or so.

Conditions wont be great for me tomorrow and Monday but if we see something that will work.

(Sounds like you moved more birds than the biologists I spoke to thought you could get into - I called the biologists in charge of each of the western OK WMA's and all stated great start to the season then when conditions worsened (heat/ice storm) no one was finding birds - they thought they may still be around but said they've been hit hard on public and they were hearing an avg of 2-5 covey a day if that. They felt last year was a better year than this year for some reason though said they thought there were pockets in OK just like KS - well I'm hitting the road in about 30 mins. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the info - bought my license today - I lined up a place near Altus OK - guy says his avg is around 20 covey a day with his highest when conditions were perfect of somewhere between 45-50 or so.

Conditions wont be great for me tomorrow and Monday but if we see something that will work.

(Sounds like you moved more birds than the biologists I spoke to thought you could get into - I called the biologists in charge of each of the western OK WMA's and all stated great start to the season then when conditions worsened (heat/ice storm) no one was finding birds - they thought they may still be around but said they've been hit hard on public and they were hearing an avg of 2-5 covey a day if that. They felt last year was a better year than this year for some reason though said they thought there were pockets in OK just like KS - well I'm hitting the road in about 30 mins. Wish me luck.

Awesome, no problem and lots of luck to ya, I think if I were going again on public I might shoot for earlier but, never know til ya go I suppose. I probably should have done more talking to biologists but don't think it would have changed my mind anyway, just wanted some more hunting ya know. That sounds like a sweet deal, if you don't mind sharing some info on what ya end up getting into/ what outfit you're hunting with/ how ya found out about them and such I would much appreciate it (here or pm), I never even thought about asking the biologists about people who do trespass fees (doh!). I would definitely like to head out that way again next year (well, really would like to be going right now, but, don't think that is in the cards).

Good luck

I saw a lot of birds - plan if the weather is right to make it to TX or OK again next year - hopefully more than once if I can. First day I didnt get many shots, yesterday I got most of the shooting before the rains came. Though I'm almost convinced if I had more dogs in KS I could find just as many quail - probably not as much continuous action or as many covey's but close.

I went to a pretty cool area with lots of Old west/plains Indian history - look forward to visiting it or the general area again.

The leasing culture there on the TX border is a little different than I'm used to.

Nice, glad to hear the birds were there. It's pretty cool country to see, especially for somebody up here in the corn seas.

Back