Puppy Training - 6.5 months old (pic heavy)

steelbull85

I attempted to get out duck hunting Wednesday, but unfortunately the river I was going to go to refroze the night before. Since I had off the afternoon from work I decided to take the pup out for a simulated hunt. We went to a local game preserve and released two chukar and one pheasant. It was a great time, and Sadie worked great. She obeyed hand commands and whistles, quartered well, and hunted close. I'm still having trouble calling her off birds (missed birds or little tweetie birds), and also having her retrieve fresh killed birds. She does great with bumpers, and frozen birds, but I think she hasn't experienced the texture of fresh birds enough to be fully comfortable with it. I think once I get her collar conditioned, I will be able to call her off birds easier, but right now I'm just trying to associate the e-collar with fun and haven't turned it on at all yet. All in all, it was great hunt! My wife got done with a listing appointment early so she decided to come with me and carry a camera. Below are some pictures of the hunt. Enjoy!

At 6 months I wouldn't expect too much...the dog is very young and immature.

Not sure about using the whistle; when hunting with others, especially if they use a whistle, it can be very confusing for the dog. Obviously, if you only hunt alone it makes no difference.

I seldom use my whistle - only voice commands and the e-collar on buzz. I use it more around the neighborhood vs calling or when the dog isin't wearing the e-collar.

Good luck with your new dog; you'll be amazed how quickly they respoond to a lot of bird exposure. A preserve is a great place to work with your dog!

Last edited:
At 6 months I wouldn't expect too much...the dog is very young and immature.

Not sure about using the whistle; when hunting with others, especially if they use a whistle, it can be very confusing for the dog. Obviously, if you only hunt alone it makes no difference.

I seldom use my whistle - only voice commands and the e-collar on buzz. I use it more around the neighborhood vs calling or when the dog isin't wearing the e-collar.

Good luck with your new dog; you'll be amazed how quickly they respoond to a lot of bird exposure. A preserve is a great place to work with your dog!

JonnyB I definitely agree with you. I very seldom use the whistle, but I do mix it in occasionally. My collar has a beep function so I might teach her to respond to the beep as opposed to using the whistle. Since she has been working close though, I usually only have to use voice/hand commands. I definitely don't want to be that guy in the field blasting away on his whistle trying to get the dog under control!

Great report! You are well on your way of enjoying a lot of years with a great hunting companion. At only 6 months you and your pup are doing fine. The whistle can be a good training tool while your pup is learning. The more time you and Sadie spend together the more you will both understand each other and just hands signals will be all you need. It's one of the reasons I enjoy hunting behind the flushing breeds, it's almost uncanny how they know your next move. It'll take a little time, but when it happens it forms a special bond, and it looks like Sadie is well on her way.
Thanks for the pictures, and that's a fine looking pup! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Looks great Nice photos. If pups not doing what you like don't forget the use of a long check rope in a controlled environment.

Back