protecting a dogs nose

Byrdoglvr

I'm wondering if anyone has a trick for protecting my yellow labs nose from rubbing raw and eventually bleeding while running through heavy cover?

Thanks

He's a hunting dog, right? He'll be fine! I had a dog that had a low hanging scrotum. He'd hit it on barbed wire or frozen milo stalks and cut it open. As a man -- it made me cringe the first time it happened, but after a couple of times where the dog was clearly fine, we kept on hunting. He didn't care -- why should I?

Dogs get beat up in this game ... the only way to protect them from the bumps and bruises of hunting is to not hunt them. For upland stuff, I am not a lab guy -- but it sounds like I'd like your dog's motor.

How about this?

detail.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist! I really don't know if anything for the nose. Either the dog is going to lick it off or it will be worn off in the field. Your dog will be okay and his nose will heal.

Give him fish oil and vitamin E can be had for about 20 bucks at Walgreens. Don't ask me how or why it works just does.

How about this?

detail.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist! I really don't know if anything for the nose. Either the dog is going to lick it off or it will be worn off in the field. Your dog will be okay and his nose will heal.

Now that's funny. The dog looks like Hannibal Lecter in Silence of The Lambs. Between that and those eye protectors you put up the other day you would have a dog nobody would mess with

That's your dog Tom, I'd know that purple bandanna anywhere. :D

early season hunting in grass

I struggle each year with the same problem. My GSP's nose has yet not toughened up and the grass cuts his nose horribly. Until the first snow, his nose, where the scales meet the hairline, widens up and becomes a bloody mess. Although it does not seem to hurt or slow him down or diminish his enthusiasm in anyway, I am concerned about infection or something major.

Early in the season, try to limit your dog's time in the field. Rotate with your friend's dogs, rather than hunt them all at once. And, wait for the snow to knock down the tall grass.

In protecting my dog's nose after the hunt, I use Rawleigh salve. It is the same product that my grandfather used. For a century it has advertised "Good for man or beast." And for three generations, my family has applied it to every animal, beast and bird you can imagine, so I believe it is safe.

I am no physician or vet, but my experience is that a very light application helps heal the wound faster.

https://www.rawleigh-products.com/herbal-skin-remedies.html

Good luck with your dog.

How about this?

detail.jpg

I was sitting here looking through the posts and saw this. I almost spilled my beer laughing as I imagined my dog trying to retrieve a bird with this on!!

The raw nose and feet happen every year with Molly. I treat her with ointment after a hunt. As a kid, we used bag balm on the milk cows and the hounds. It worked.

Back