Protect nature for world economic security, warns UN biodiversity chief

huntsem

200 Species Extinct Every Day, Unlike Anything Since Dinosaurs Disappeared 65 Million Years Ago

I wonder what percentage of the world population pays attention to news of species extinction rates like this. I think that in general humans are inclined toward tunneled vision and catastrophe.

"?The UN chief said that children were losing contact with nature. "We are moving to a more virtual world. Children today haven't a clue about nature. Children have not seen apple trees. In Algeria, children are growing up who have never seen olive trees. How can you protect nature if you do not know it?"?"

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/aug/16/nature-economic-security

fast food and video games

Fast food and video games will be the death of the world. You cant know whats going on in the world if your in front of the games all the time. I bet if people had time or made time to sit down at the table to eat as a family and talk with one another maybe less kids would be shooting kids.

I live in what most people would call a small hick town surrounded but other small towns in South West MI. When I go out west hunting each year its nice to not see everyone in such a damn hurry. I don't think I could ever live in a hustle and bustle big city because to me even where I live seems to be in a hurry.

I'm not saying video games are causing kids to shoot kids but I bet if most kids had a chance to get outdoors more and hunt or fish they would get an appreciation of nature and what god has created for us all.

I'm not a church going person and I don't have any particular religion to follow but I do believe in a higher power of some sort. I think if you take your time and really look at gods creations out there in the big woods or prairie or even on the lakes fishing its just as good as being in church to me.

The world is in just too much of a hurry to see life that has been created out there in all of its shapes and sizes.

I't cant be stopped. Humans will destroy what mother earth has to give us so much that most of us will not survive but I bet ya after earth gets rid of its biggest parasite ( humans ) she will rebuild herself and those of us left standing will just work on destroying her again.

Just my two cents

Good points.
Celebrating our relationship with natural world, nourishes the spirit no matter where we live.

If any of you guys have young boys I would highly recomend the book "My Side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George for them. That book sparked my interest and love for the outdoors and has stayed with me my whole life. Now Ralph Waldo Emerson, Thoreau, John Muir and others quench my thirst when I can't be in the wild. Many things are lost on the children of today including a love for reading and the outdoors, its time to get back to some of these things.

Back