prostate surgery

RONMN

Iam 66 had robotic prostatectom on the 7th. Surgery was successful and pathology report came back good. Get the catheter removed today the 17th happy to get that done. I had no symptoms and watching psa numbers paid off. I know there are lots of men over 50 on this site pay attention.

Prostrate Surgery

Thank you for your post. Everyone over the age of 50 should pay attention. Happy to hear you are doing well.

I'm 70 and my PSA numbers have been fine. However, this past October during my annual physical my doctor felt a lump on my prostrate. I had biopsies taken and they came back negative. The biopsy procedure was quite a painful ordeal but worth it to find out I didn't have prostate cancer. My father died of prostate cancer so I have always been quite observant and had an annual physical and PSA.

I had a biopsy in June found 1 spot in12 biopsys.. was very uncomfortable. Second biopsy in Jan. Found 4 out of 12. Was put under was fine. Little orno pain with surgery.

Had catheter and staples out this afternoon. That was the easy part now see how my exercises help with incontinence one step at a time. Showed picture on my swelled upbelly with 7 bullet holes all the way across belly to hunting partner he said looks like your hunting with Dick Cheney. Ha!

I don't think I will ever have another prostate biopsy without being put under it was extremely painful

I agree 100%. Probably he most painful thing I have endured. It wasn't the actual taking of the biopsies that hurt it was the doc moving that probe around in my butt hole. Felt like he was using a fence post. :eek: They told me I looked a little pale when they were done. No shit!! I have heard of guys actually passing out from the procedure.

I don't think I will ever have another prostate biopsy without being put under it was extremely painful

I don't know how old you are but if you are on Medicare like I am we may have a problem. The biopsy procedure is done in the doctors office and they don't put you under. To be put under would probably require the procedure to be done in a hospital which would substantially increase the cost and Medicare would not pay for it. So it appears we are probably SOL. Although you would think they could numb up your rear end enough to relieve the pain. They told me they were inserting some numbing gel in my rectum but they might as well shot water up there as it didn't numb a darn thing. Hopefully I won't ever have to have it done again.

Dakotazeb you are correct on most of my byopsys. First Iam 66 with medicare and a blue supplement. The last byopsy was in hospital in mid Jan. Was out about 15 min. As told. Bill has been paid by above coverage with me paying $23.00 for drugs. Now am dealing with expected incontinence and laughing at your fence post is achange in underware.

Valuable thread about a fairly common male issue. Thanks for all the informative posts.

About 9 days since catheter was removed. Incontinence has been improving just don't make me laugh. Billshave been coming in almost hard to see who is paying for what. So far I like the column that says you owe 0000.

Surgery

Really glad to hear that your surgery went well and that you are progressing with positive results. New techniques and robotic davinci surgery have made huge strides for men going through this treatment. Both my grandpa's died from prostate cancer and my dad had his removed about 20 years ago. They used the equivalent of a 4" Milwaukee angle grinder and one of those cheap Ryobi sawzalls for removal back then, which almost guaranteed urinary issues and playing pool with a rope. Now things are so much better with nerve sparing surgery and ed drugs. Last year my psa shot throught the roof to 5.5 and I was sure that I was going down that same road. Had a lot of pressure from my urologist to have a biopsy, but I ended up having testicular cancer instead. After they tore off my right nut my psa has steadily come down. I have a 20% chance of it spreading, but they said they can nuke it with chemo if it does. I am now on a 10 year watch with ct scans, chest xray and blood work every three months. Needless to say, I hunt every minute I can cuz you never know how many minutes you got left. Anyway, I'm happy for you, and glad that you have many more
birds to shoot. I turn 60 this week, and the stark reality of knowing that my next dog might out live me causes me to hunt hard and often, in any weather. I lucked out with the nut being on the right side. I carry my gun on my right hip or shoulder, so I am able to balance myself out with my 6lb 13oz 12 gauge and walk vertical. Ha. Good luck to you.

At 66 i was one of the who never broke a bone, never had a stich. Aftersecond byopsy and realty sets in hunting seasons realy become important. My lab isnow ten and for awhile you think she might outlive me, but one step at a time things are progressing. First psa test at end of month should be 0.

Surgery

You stayed on top of the situation and you are going to be fine because
you were smart enough to pay attention. I have a high school friend that had a vasectomy at age 30 and they did a psa at that time and it was 3.2. They never
told him to follow up and that cancer brewed in him for decades. Now at age 60 he is stage 4 with metastasis to distant organs, and has gone through every treatment available. He retired at the end of Nov. and started chemo in Dec. this past year. They really dropped the ball on him 30 years ago and now he is in the
fight of his life. Really tough to take.

I also had a coworker who didn't pay attention and in early 50s had it spread. Was a wakeup to us others. He lived 5 years .

Mgorvi if you carry 2 of your hunting partners pheasants on right side of your vest you will be in balance and he will be happy to.

Not just with the prostate, but in other health areas, as well, those of us who are a few years older need to be proactive with our health. At age 50, my first cousin, who I grew up with and 12 years of school together, had been having gut issues, constipation, bloating, etc.. He was a "tough guy", refused his wife's urging to see a doctor. After months of this he finally felt bad enough to see a doctor. They ended up removing a softball sized tumor from his colon. He lasted a year and it was a painful year from hell.

A short time after his funeral I was talking to a customer in Texas who I'd become friends with. He was complaining about his gut issues. I told him about my cousin. Two weeks later he called to thank me. Said "I think you've saved my life", as he would have tried to tough it out, too. Unlike my cousin, he's still alive and well.

I'm on the 5 years plan for colonoscopy. The last one they removed a polyp. What if I hadn't gone in for that first one at age 50 and not gotten on the program?

Health

Men gotta keep watch on their prostates and colons if they want to hunt their full allotment of seasons. Those two areas can be fixed if early detection happens. If we don't keep on top of them, we gotta role the dice and take our chances. It ends up biting quite a few men needlessly. I remember my grandpa dying of prostate cancer. It spread all over in his pelvic bones. It was like watching an animal that was caught in a trap. They sucked at pain control back then. Not a pretty sight.

Back