Promising season

Birdshot

After a few challenging seasons due to drought and vanishing CRP land 2014-15 proved to be a year of promise. While the return of CRP walk ins may not be as bright, the bird hunting itself was very good to excellent season. The key was using the weather when hunting the walk ins and taking advantage of some Nebraska land owners hospitality late in the season. After 20 yrs of hunting Nebraska 2012/2013 had to be the most challenging. In fact I thought I might actually take 2014 off and wait for things to recover. But having a terrific upland yellow lab and kids who hunt we decided it was better to try then not try at all. We couldn't have picked a more perfect week then 12/16 to start. A snow storm had pounded South Western Nebraska. This was the most snow they had seen in years. We started by hunting a lush tree row and walked three roosters to a pinch point where they flushed in a fan pattern directly out in front. We managed to drop a pair and then all sat excited that our first push of just 5 minutes was so fruitful. The day continued to impress and we found all walk ins rich with birds and bunched up in numbers anywhere from 12-40 a flush. It was a short day and the following day proved just as good and we estimate we saw 300 plus pheasants. Our good fortune encouraged me to return two weeks later. The weather was now mild and hunting was very different as well. We seemed to had walked every acre of every walk in. We may have flushed 50-75 birds and many roosters jumped far out front, still we managed our bag limits and enjoyed the hard work. With the season having gone well we managed one more trip 1/21. The weather was now very mild. Our first day in the walk ins we dropped a total of 3 birds for three hunters and seen only 25 or so. With things much different on the walk ins I decided to call upon an old friend in Perkins county to see if we could try his ground. We gained permission and eagerly worked his corn pivot corners. To our surprise plentiful and untested roosters filled his corners and large CRP field. We ended the season taking 18 roosters over two days. All in all 2014/2015 proved to be a great season. Cant wait to see what next season brings.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! There has been a lot of criticism of Nebraska on this website this year but you proved there are still plenty of birds to be had. A good spring and summer and next year could be amazing!:cheers:

Back