Probablitiy of running into other hunters afield

EddiefromOhio

I know this question might be hard to answer. However for those of you who hunt public lands, wma's, or PLOTS in ND for pheasants how often do you run into other hunters? My time frame is the first weekend open to out of state hunters.

In my opinion, no matter what state you are hunting, public land on opening day is more than likely going to be a zoo! The odds are against you if you are looking to be the only group in a field that particular day. Wear eye protection, orange vest and hat, and orange on the dog, too! Been showered on and hit with lead.

You will see other hunters depending on the area you could see lots of other hunters. I don't want to deter you just want to let you know. You will still have a good time just might have to give a wide berth if there is another group on the particular piece you are hunting.

The first weekend is nuts. Especially on the more popular public areas. Some of the out of the way areas with low pheasant numbers probably would be the best bet.

dang this is dissapointing news. I have heard this is the place to go and the hunting is only second to maybe some areas in South Dakota... Being on a budget sucks but hunting in a group full of guys on a budget keeps me from going to a place that costs money...

What does a day or week trespass fee cost? and does that keep you the only group on the property? for the day you pay?

Opening day in any state with pheasants, public ground will be a circus. If it were me I would wait until tuesday or wednesday after the opener. That should give you a couple of days to hunt with less pressure, until the caravan's start rolling the next weekend. As far as your question about tressspass fees. quality land starts at 125.00 or so a day and goes up. You should get the place to yourself for that price. If that is the way you go, don't wait till the last minute. Most farms are leased up the first four or so weeks pretty quick.

$125 a day split 4 or 5 ways isn't to bad. do you have to call up land owners or is there a list of people who put out trespass fee's that I can do a rundown with. I have sent an email to the City of linton for any type of information about landowners that they have but Its been a week with no reply

$125 a day split 4 or 5 ways isn't to bad. do you have to call up land owners or is there a list of people who put out trespass fee's that I can do a rundown with. I have sent an email to the City of linton for any type of information about landowners that they have but Its been a week with no reply

Are you sure it is $125 for a group, and not $125 per gun per day? As far as Linton, be patient. You are dealing with a form of government...it is probably in the mail(another govt. entity)Rome wasn't built in a day

125 a day per hunter is kinda pricey...
Yes, that does seem a bit pricey to anyone not accustomed to paying trespass fees. A lot of money per bird with only the opportunity to shoot a limit, with no guarantee. Unfortunately people have been paying it for years, and seems to be engrained in the culture, never to go away. The sad reality of this is that $125 is a reasonable price, noting they are normally higher! Deal with crowded fields on opening day, pay the piper, or wait till the dust settles and hunt public during the week.

I'm afraid $125 a day would be for each hunter. The rancher I know by Regent gets $325 per hunter per day the first 2 weeks of the pheasant season then drops the price to $225 for the remainder of the season.

I would go mid week after the first week and go to public land. Your only allowed 3 roosters. Hard work, You should be able to get a limit on public ground. Pheasants keep moving into the public land from adjacent private land.

Glad you got a pup.:thumbsup:

My goodness!

that is cheap! it will cost you 150-200 per day, per gun, in SD.:eek:

I have seen many of the Outfitters that will supply you with a guide and dogs for the 200 to 250 mark per hunter per day! at that point you might as well go with them eh??? I think I will stick to public land and do as suggested head in to the pheasant fields starting monday... I might just duck hunt that weekend! all these pheasant hunters should keep the Quackers from Sitting still on small ponds all day long!!! ::cheers

Late season you might find a place to hunt for $125, and the hunting can be very good that time of year if you don't mind the chance of cold weather.

Eddie sounds like you are getting on the right path. You might be surprised at how many roosters you see while duck hunting in the early morning hours when the birds are moving around. The combo hunt is always a blast but it can where you down,the mid day siesta is your friend

My experience is that the first year you go anywhere new it is a learning curve. You can only do so much scouting from long distance. You need at least one year of getting the "lay of the land." Then you can add to that knowledge over the years. It is a good idea to compile info as land changes year to year, weather plays an important part, and land leases change hands all the time. Don't go during opening weekend or week, if you are looking to hunt public land exclusively to yourself.
Just a thought, if you are traveling from Ohio, taking time off work, and buying an out of state license, why not maximize your time off any shoot some birds. Pay a little extra and give yourself some memories.
Good luck finding anything that is any good that isn't booked by now. Beware of places with openings in the first few weeks, might not be much for bird numbers!

Out State

I live in Wisconsin and Have Land by Steele-(Steele is 40 miles east of Bismark). One thing to remember Is that out State hunters Can't hunt Plots Land and other state Land the First weekend, (or maybe its the first week). Not sure if this was addressed eariler. Didn't want you to have issues if you went Opening day. I have hunted The linton area usally later in the season and during the week, and never seen anyone hunting on state land. Not sure this helps, but wanted to mention it.

Last edited:
Back