Private Land Hunting

r00s7a

Few questions for you Kansas residents. I'm driving up from far SE Oklahoma to do some hunting around the Liberal/Montezuma area as soon as I see a little snow on the radar. In the past I have hit public land and had decent success, after a lot of work. But of course the work makes it a little more rewarding. I don't know that I am the typical hunter, as I prefer to hunt alone with my dog. I don't get a kick out of drives with lots of people, blockers at the end, and 20 dogs running amuck. I go more for the alone time and companionship of my dog, who loves it even more than I do.

Being that I live close to the OK/TX border, I know how a resident feels seeing a bunch of out of state license plates bombarding your areas. I pretty much feel the same about seeing Texas license plates in my deer haunts. But the fact is, you've got great pheasant hunting and we don't! After a couple of knee injuries in the last two years, I can't get around as well as before, but I'm gonna give her hell this year... you know, for the dog and all. How do most of the farmers react to a lone person knocking on the door asking for permission to hunt as opposed to a flock of 20 gun totin nonresidents? I know ya'll guys probably get hammered with poachers, trespassers, and just general BS that comes along with being a land owner and knee jerk reaction is just to say no to everyone. My family has always been in agriculture and had the same issues. Pretty much have to say no to everyone, especially nonresidents that swoop in and out of town with no respect for the locals and their property.

I'm not a rich man, I can't afford guided hunts (which take all the fun out of it anyway), I'm just a good ol boy that doesn't live round here, that likes to work his dog and shoot a few birds. The best that I can provide for payment is a big bag of homemade deer jerky and some fine venison jalapeno and cheese summer sausage. Not asking any of you for permission, leads, or anything else, other than your opinion if you would let someone like me hunt some corners that hold birds. I wouldn't even mind forming a lasting friendship with people, maybe swap out for some deer hunts or something in the future. Just a thought.

I can't help you in your mission but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. If you knock on enough doors, you'll get some private access....especially if you're alone and not asking on the opener.

Good luck and enjoy this wonderful state:cheers:

As the previous poster said, knock on enough doors you'll have some success.

A good tool to have is a landowner platt map. You can buy them from the county seat courthouse. Theres a place in Wichita that sells them too, sometimes it just cheaper to buy them from the county seat.

They'll normally run you $25-40 depending on the county of course.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I am not looking for assistance from guys on an online forum, that is the easy and non-productive way to do it. I would rather knock and doors and look someone in the eye and shake their hand. I will give someone a lot more respect if they approach me like that. I work in land sales, so I am very familiar with the platt books. I always keep a copy in my truck and one on my desk, just in case!

I enjoy Kansas everytime I go. You can find beauty in every place you see if you look hard enough. Some people see nothing but flat land in Kansas, but that flat land at sunrise or sunset can be a breathtaking sight. Thanks guys, and good luck to you all.

My dad and I like to go out frequently on weekends. We live in the Liberal area. If you would like, I'm sure we could get you in some birds on my dad's land.

Welcome to the forum, you newcomers.

You will do fine knocking on doors or talking to the farmers at the coffee shop or COOP.

I too appreciate the beautiful sunsets in Kansas. I have a computer full of pictures and continue to take more pictures of them. Most time it is just me and Murry Dog on a hill at the ranch and I just take a moment to raise my hands toward the setting sun and say, "Thank you Lord for blessing me with a majestic end to this day. Amen."

Here is one of my favorite pictures-

DSCF2306BB.jpg

You should have no problems being a single hunter... If you knock on the door and tell them it is just you and your dog you should get a yes quite often... The best part you will only need a single yes to have more than enough land for you two to walk

You will do fine knocking on doors or talking to the farmers at the coffee shop or COOP.

I too appreciate the beautiful sunsets in Kansas. I have a computer full of pictures and continue to take more pictures of them. Most time it is just me and Murry Dog on a hill at the ranch and I just take a moment to raise my hands toward the setting sun and say, "Thank you Lord for blessing me with a majestic end to this day. Amen."

DSCF2306BB.jpg

Thanks for the picture!

You've got a good eye Byrd, beautiful pic. I love taking pics of my dog as well. Sometimes I spend more time working for a perfect picture than I do hunting, but either way you get a lasting memory.

This is my Georgia.

G.jpg

DSCF2306BB.jpg

Beautiful lab and picture. Always love their intent eyes.

I have not been down in your neck of the woods. Got as far as Kinta, got nervous being so far from home and turned around and headed back to flat old Dodge. I kept saying, "There is no place like home, there is no place like home."

Thank ya sir, appreciate the compliment. She's a looker. Of course she is my best friend, so I am a bit partial. If you made it to Kinta, you weren't too far from my neck of the woods. I am way down in the far SE corner in Antlers, OK. Doesn't look much like the rest of Oklahoma down here, all hills and pines.... definitely different from "flat ol Dodge"! I know the feeling, no matter where you call home, there is no place like it. My trip to Kansas is about as far as I ever get from here. I rarely even leave the county line unless I have to go to Wal-Mart.

Antlers, OK? There has to be some big bucks around there with a name like that.:)

My youngest son will hunt whitetails two times this year in Oklahoma. Already hunted Elk City and will hunt the Tulsa area this weekend. Part of his work requirements.:(

Come to think of it in my younger days I got pretty close to you and saw some scenic airports of Oklahoma: McAlester, Ada, Holdenville, Goldsby, Norman and some non-descript soft sod strip near Norman that I don't remember the name.

As the sign coming in to town says, Deer Capital of the World! I am pretty sure that is a self-proclaimed statement, but we've got more deer than people. Two biggest state records came from here in Pushmataha Co.

You have been around my ol homestead then if you've been to Goldsby. I was raised just a few miles from there in Washinton. Sounds like a rough job your son has there... they hiring?

As the sign coming in to town says, Deer Capital of the World! I am pretty sure that is a self-proclaimed statement, but we've got more deer than people. Two biggest state records came from here in Pushmataha Co.

You have been around my ol homestead then if you've been to Goldsby. I was raised just a few miles from there in Washinton. Sounds like a rough job your son has there... they hiring?

Goldsby was a nasty short field paved airstrip in a hard cross wind, with a tree row on the north.

I have first dibs on being my son's assistant, but if he needs an assistant to the assistant, I'll let you know.:)

Thanks for the picture!

Nothing better than a good looking lab on high alert ready for some birds....nice pic...I will be in Dodge Thursday night. Staying at the Super 8. Trying that place this year. I had stayed at the old Astro, then it turned into Budget Host and now America's Best. I don't care much for it anymore. Stayed at the Travellodge last year, didn't like it either.

I saw the Bad Habit reopened and was remodeld. That is good to know. I like the old place, good fun and fun. I will defnitely be eating at Hamms on the northside...GOOD STUFF!!!

Greg

Greg,

Yes, Bad Habit is open. I ate there the other evening and it was good. Not sure what the current status is of Ham's. Brent is remodeling at Mariah Hills Golf Course and will open a restaurant there and I do not know who is operating Ham's at the moment. If I learn anything I will PM you. You might PM me your cell phone and I will get you my new cell number.

Nothing better than a good looking lab on high alert ready for some birds....nice pic...I will be in Dodge Thursday night. Staying at the Super 8. Trying that place this year. I had stayed at the old Astro, then it turned into Budget Host and now America's Best. I don't care much for it anymore. Stayed at the Travellodge last year, didn't like it either.

I saw the Bad Habit reopened and was remodeld. That is good to know. I like the old place, good fun and fun. I will defnitely be eating at Hamms on the northside...GOOD STUFF!!!

Greg

If you like steak,try Cowboys.
Which direction are you headed to hunt? We just came back from there,and saw a few in all directions on Friday. Good Luck.

If you like steak,try Cowboys.
Which direction are you headed to hunt? We just came back from there,and saw a few in all directions on Friday. Good Luck.

We will be hunting west of Dodge.....Cowboys huh? where is that? Is that the place behind the Travel Lodge??

Greg

Back