Prefered barrel length on semi-auto

870-Lefty

What barrel length do you prefer on a semi-auto for pheasant hunting, wild birds, in wide open places like South Dakota? Specifically, 26" or 28"?

It's more of handling issue than a lethality issue. You'll kill as many with a 26" barrel as a 28". Because the action of a semi is so long, I recommend 26 for less weight beyond your forward hand. I hunted with a guy who shot a 19" barrel semi and was just as lethal as anyone.

It's more of handling issue than a lethality issue. You'll kill as many with a 26" barrel as a 28". Because the action of a semi is so long, I recommend 26 for less weight beyond your forward hand. I hunted with a guy who shot a 19" barrel semi and was just as lethal as anyone.

I guess I should have been more specific. I didn't mean which was preferred from a lethality standpoint. You are right, barrel length has nothing to do with killing power. I meant which is preferred as far as handling, such as pointing dynamics, swinging dynamics, sighting plane, and carrying.

I like the 26" because as opposed to trap/skeet shooting you will be faced with snap shots on occasion. In that situation the 26 is easier to handle. If you were going to be doing European Style pheasant shoots, go with the 28 or even longer.

Duck hunters, Trap shooters and some that shoot sporting clay's prefer 28 to 32".

Both of my guns are 26". If you can try both, either at the store or range - great! I shoot only pheasants, but switched to a 26" years ago, when grouse hunting and never went back to a longer barrel.

If the choice was 26" or 28" and we are talking strictly pheasant or upland bird hunting I much prefer 26". If a 24" is available I'll take it. Had a 24" on a Benelli Montefeltro and loved it. But barrel length has been discussed many times before on this site and it really boils down personal preference.

26"

I had a 24" Benelli Ultra Light and it was a fantastic "pointer" and great on grouse, close pheasants, etc., but I had trouble with longer shots that required conscious leads. In my case 26" autos just swing better, yet are still dynamic enough to get on birds fast. Your mileage may vary!

I'll jump on the 26" bandwagon too! In fact, I will go one further and say that I prefer a 26" for waterfowl too. The overall length of a 26" semi is similar to a 28" over-under, so I find it plenty long in the blind or layout.

Little late to post. And I will say I'm probably in the minority here as I like a 28 in barrel for upland, dove, and deer hunting, I swing it and point to shoot better than any other shotgun I have along with an older 870 wingmaster trap with three fixed barrels

I'll give another vote for 26". I am a smaller guy and larger/longer guns for me just seem unwieldy and awkward to use. Both my 1100 and 11-87 have 26" barrels.

I am a 26 in guy for both my 20g & 28g. I ave 28 in on my 12g but I only use that for ducks and geese. the 26 is plenty long nough for my taste and easy to swing in the briars or tall grass

I'll vouche for a 28". Anything shorter may seem a little too whippy for me. My 20 gauge al 391 has a 28" and it seems a little whippy due to its light weight. I don't think I want anything shorter. I just sold a beretta o/u with a 29 1/2" bbl.

Back