Prairie Storm and Prairie Storm chokes

I didn't even know there was a Prairie Storm choke. Looks like its made by Carlson's.

I use Prairie Storm ammo and I will try to continue to do that as long as I can find it. Second choice is Wing Shok.

Shoot what you have confidence in. If you aren't a decent shooter, throw 1.5 ounces or more out there to increase your chances. If your factory chokes don't pattern well, try an after market one. I am not a crack shot, but flushing pheasants are not difficult with 1.25 ounces of 5s with a IC choke...pass shooting, I will struggle, with any load/choke combination I have a feeling....I try to avoid those situations, they often humble me.

Shoot what you have confidence in. If you aren't a decent shooter, throw 1.5 ounces or more out there to increase your chances. If your factory chokes don't pattern well, try an after market one. I am not a crack shot, but flushing pheasants are not difficult with 1.25 ounces of 5s with a IC choke...pass shooting, I will struggle, with any load/choke combination I have a feeling....I try to avoid those situations, they often humble me.
I am a pretty good shot.... I was just curious about this combination

Who shoots them and is it worth the money to buy those specific chokes?
That's the combo I've primarily used for about 8 years. I've never been a great shot, but this combo seems to work the best for me. The patterning I did several years ago seemed to confirm that. Thankfully I've had enough shells to get me thru the last 2 years without paying today's prices.

The ammo patterns tight from the wad. Some like it some don’t, I personally fall in the don’t care for it. As far as the chokes go the early season is a light modified and the late is an improved modified. If you want the prairie storm name on it great or else you can save a few bucks and get the black oxide sporting clay chokes that are the exact same thing in the respective constriction.

The ammo patterns tight from the wad. Some like it some don’t, I personally fall in the don’t care for it. As far as the chokes go the early season is a light modified and the late is an improved modified. If you want the prairie storm name on it great or else, you can save a few bucks and get the black oxide sporting clay chokes that are the exact same thing in the respective constriction.
X3

What are the advantages of flight stopper pellets? Aren't They smaller unpolished pellets that look like Saturn?
Yes and no. Marketing will have you think that but if you cut one open imagine it as a lead ball that was casted in a 2 piece jig that has alittle excess in the middle. It may at best only stick out from the main body of the shot a 1/32” of an inch

Yes and no. Marketing will have you think that but if you cut one open imagine it as a lead ball that was casted in a 2 piece jig that has alittle excess in the middle. It may at best only stick out from the main body of the shot a 1/32” of an inch
Prairie Storm was marketing genius! Heavier and faster has to be worth the price, right?

I maybe a sucker but my first choice would be PS. Couldn’t find any this year and shot a couple cases of wing shok instead. I like the speed more than anything. My friend uses the PS Chokes and I would say there is no difference. It’s fun to buy new tricks and raz your friends about how you got something that’s gonna get you more birds but I’m going the way of give me a mod choke and a #4 and I will get as many birds as anyone. PS boxes look cooler😜

I've said this before on this forum, I shot Prairie Storm for quite a few years with pretty decent success but never in all those years/birds did I find one "Flitestopper" pellet in a bird. My simple-minded analysis was that the belt around the middle causes those shot to be "flyers", quickly exiting your pattern and reducing the number of shot on target. That might be good for very close birds, but it didn't work for me. I have gone back to ammunition that has 100% round, high antimony shot, preferably nickel or at minimum, copper plated. No use spreading your pattern out by reducing the number of shot on target with unpredictable "flyers".

Anyone ever try Winchester's Rooster XR? Its very expensive but I use their turkey version, Longbeard XR with unreal success. Its almost doubled my range over traditional turkey ammo.

I started using Winchester's Rooster XR ammunition when I decided to go "back" to all round shot. The shot is copper plated high antimony - excellent quality for dense patterns. I've found it to be very effective and though it is more expensive, when I add up how much pheasant hunting trips cost me, it really doesn't make sense to chintz on ammunition. It isn't like you are shooting hundreds of rounds. I haven't seen any on the market recently and actually thought about going to the Longbeard XR in #5 as a short term replacement. Then I found a case of Fiocchi Golden Pheasant and decided to go with that, with excellent results as well, maybe a bit better because the shot is nickel plated and provides an even denser pattern than the copper plated Winchester, but overall, they are equivalent. The Fiocchi is slightly slower, but I've never seen a pheasant fly faster than 1200fps so who cares!

I've found it to be very effective and though it is more expensive, when I add up how much pheasant hunting trips cost me, it really doesn't make sense to chintz on ammunition. It isn't like you are shooting hundreds of rounds.
I've never been one to chintz on ammo, but the number of rounds I go through when pheasant hunting compared to the number of rounds I go through turkey hunting is substantial. I usually go through about 40-50 shells during a pheasant season and I go through ONE shell when I'm turkey hunting.

I'm tempted to try the Rooster XR just to see if my results improve over the current ammo I favor for pheasants. The Longbeard XR for turkeys has revolutionized turkey hunting for me since I started using it. My previous range was about 35 yards with traditional turkey ammo. I've taken turkeys out to 61 yards with Longbeard XR.

Anyone ever try Winchester's Rooster XR? Its very expensive but I use their turkey version, Longbeard XR with unreal success. Its almost doubled my range over traditional turkey ammo.
i like to have one in for my second or third, fourth shot, i like them, the price.... not so much

Back