Prairie Chickens/Pheasants

Do pheasants and Prairie chickens Cohabitate? Or do they try to avoid each other does anyone know any info on this. Do they tolerate each other? Has anyone ever seen pheasants and prairie chickens feeding together or just together in general? I'm asking this because I recently shot my first ever prairie chicken in north central Kansas. He was a very nice greater male! and im getting him mounted! Ever since I shot one, I just been so interested in them

Last edited:
Simple answer yes the tolerate each other wear the habitat co exist... In MN KS & SD I've seen chicken & pheasants in same areas in SD & MN add sharptail to that mix... & Hun's...

But in pure prairie habitat its mostly just chickens only due to the short grass & lack of trees & cattails & quality winter cover...

I plan when in. Nebraska next WK to chase some prairie grouse best time to shoot 1 is January best for mounting that is...

Simple answer yes the tolerate each other wear the habitat co exist... In MN KS & SD I've seen chicken & pheasants in same areas in SD & MN add sharptail to that mix... & Hun's...

But in pure prairie habitat its mostly just chickens only due to the short grass & lack of trees & cattails & quality winter cover...

I plan when in. Nebraska next WK to chase some prairie grouse best time to shoot 1 is January best for mounting that is...

Well put !!!

When I hunt early season chickens I'll run into both sometimes in the same group. I've found them both in the same stretch of CRP a lot of times. The pheasants seem to hang in the heavy grass and the chickens in the ankle height stuff... You never know what you're going to find sometimes.

I walked a cornfield last weekend where there were both birds. The chickens were just about 10-15 feet in the corn but they were there with half a dozen pheasants that were in the edge weeds. Chickens saw me coming about 100 yards out and flushed. The pheasants held a little longer then flushed wild before I could get in range.

I have seen more chickens and in places I have never seen them before this year. I really like hunting them. It can be a true challenge.

Oh & I've also encountered quail in same general area on same walk in in Nebraska & KS game rich area I guess ...

1 stretch of road in NC KS I've seen on a 1 mile stretch pheasant prairie chicken & Bob White quail turkey also game bird crossing lol.

I've encountered quail this year in places they shouldn't be. Found a nice covey high up on the prairie and way off any river bottom in a field that holds both chickens and pheasants. Kind of catches you off guard...

Back