prairie chicken exhibit at FHDC

Toad

If anybody is within a reasonable drive of the Flinthills Discovery Center, I would highly recommend stopping by the prairie chicken exhibit that is currently on the second floor. The photography is stunning.

There are some of the best photos I've ever seen of greater and lesser prairie chickens, sage grouse, and sharptails, and a few nuggets of information about each bird, and some history about the heath hen.

I was drooling over some of the photos.

If anybody is within a reasonable drive of the Flinthills Discovery Center, I would highly recommend stopping by the prairie chicken exhibit that is currently on the second floor. The photography is stunning.

There are some of the best photos I've ever seen of greater and lesser prairie chickens, sage grouse, and sharptails, and a few nuggets of information about each bird, and some history about the heath hen.

I was drooling over some of the photos.

I'd imagine some of those photos were taken in Dexter Kansas at Bob Massey's place. Took the wife there a while back to sit in a blind and watch the prairie chicken's boom. It was pretty neat, I really enjoyed it. Bob and his wife used to host people from all over the US, they'd come to see the chickens. I was told that quite a few of the pictures you see floating around were taken on his land.

Did you happen to see/remember who the photographer was? I've got a great book on my office table entitled "Save the Last Dance" by Nappadol Paothong. If you get a chance you should pick it up. Ridiculously awesome photograph of prairie birds.

Glad to know about the prairie chicken display there. Manhattan is a favorite place, but I seldom get there. Usually burning up I-70 going to KC and never make it through The Little Apple. Will have to make time and do it.

Did you happen to see/remember who the photographer was? I've got a great book on my office table entitled "Save the Last Dance" by Nappadol Paothong. If you get a chance you should pick it up. Ridiculously awesome photograph of prairie birds.

I'm glad you posted his name, because otherwise I was going to have to look it up. :laugh: Yes, you nailed it. All the photos in the exhibit are his.

I also bought an autographed copy of, "Save the Last Dance" at the FHDC. It was pricey, but there are even MORE pics and the text is written by Joel M Vance. So I figured it was a safe buy. I've only skimmed it so far, but it looks like a winner.

I'm going back without my kids so I can see it again without interruption. :laugh:

Nice Exhibit

I was there over spring break with my 6 year old son and his buddy. Great photos and exhibit. I'd recommend taking in the film too. Interactive with smells and snow, to see their faces when it started snowing and the prairie burns was awesome. Even better, later that day we even went out to see the real prairie burning around the outskirts of town.

That sounds pretty cool.

I've seen some of his photography before -- he's good. I think he works for the MO Department of Conservation. Joel Vance is good too -- like you said Toad, safe bet with those two.

Thanks for sharing Toad. I'm going to purchase my copy of "Save the Last Dance" once I decide which organization I want my donation to go to.:cheers:

Back