Possible off-season trip back to SD.....

I can't believe it but looking to make a trip back out in the dead of winter to ice fish in SD. Will get to see how the birds are fairing. Looking at heading for Bitter in the upper NE corner to chase perch. I am sure once I see my first group of pheasants I will probably come unglued. It's been a little over a month since we ended our season and the dogs are still looking to hunt but I have accepted having to wait until next season.

Can't do it, your tourist visa ended first Sunday in January.

I lived in WI, so I know the game. Half the people in the Black Hills live here, half the time.

I lived in WI, so I know the game. Half the people in the Black Hills live here, half the time.

RD,

I am not playing that game at all. But if you have some info/tricks I am all ears. When the time comes I will live is SD 365/a year, mainly for centrally locating our dog business and the hunting/fishing the state provides.

I currently live in WI and declare residency in WI. I own a house in SD, maintain it, and pay my taxes mainly for the three month pheasant season and 2-4 trips a year during the summer to see friends, puppy customers and/or deliver pups to new owners.

Chad, wouldn't Devil's Lake in North Dakota be a better option if you want to fish for perch? Just a thought.

220,000+ acres of lake. If I had a week off to fish, maybe. Just to large at this point. It's been recommended by a few guys to go to Bitter. I ventured over to Big Stone here a few weeks ago- guys told me I should of done the extra miles and went to Bitter.

220,000+ acres of lake. If I had a week off to fish, maybe. Just to large at this point. It's been recommended by a few guys to go to Bitter. I ventured over to Big Stone here a few weeks ago- guys told me I should of done the extra miles and went to Bitter.

Im sure you have a place to stay, but if not I would recommend Lynn Lake Lodge, www.lynnlakelodge.com. Nice place to stay and set up for fishermen.

MF,

Thanks for the info. Will make a note for early or late ice over there. Actually running over with my ice castle and staying right on the lake for the weekend. Weather wise it looks like it will be doable.

First place I saw one of the Ice Castles was at the lodge, they had hunters who wanted to stay in them. Those have not shown up here in my part of Michigan yet. They look very nice and I can see how people could stay in them. Do they get iced in and if so how easy is it to break them free?

First place I saw one of the Ice Castles was at the lodge, they had hunters who wanted to stay in them. Those have not shown up here in my part of Michigan yet. They look very nice and I can see how people could stay in them. Do they get iced in and if so how easy is it to break them free?

They can get iced in if you set them all the way down on the ice. I set mine on 4x4 blocks when I lower it. Never have an issue that way.

Damn, your in a good spot. Not a resident and not a tourist. We can't blame you for anything.

How's that little girl doing?

Super-- most of the snow is gone so I thought I would take her for along walk north of the house--yep snow was gone but it left behind a whole lot of MUD--the dog I have found loves the MUD or it at least loves her. :D:D

Good Luck

With the weather lately I would watch the ice depth if you are still going. It has been warm lately. Bitter was a hot spot a few weeks ago for perch.

With the weather lately I would watch the ice depth if you are still going. It has been warm lately. Bitter was a hot spot a few weeks ago for perch.

Redleg,

Thanks for the update. We pulled the pin on heading for SD. We are pulling the Castle to northern MN and fishing on 22-25" of ice. Scheduled for a ND perch trip next weekend but with the extended forecast probably pulling the pin on that as well. Here comes spring.....

Back